Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

HELP PLEASE: Do I use Caulk or Grout when replacing missing grout & moldy caulk in my bathroom

I have a tub and a separate shower stall which both need to be either regrouted or re-caulked so as not to allow water to get in behind the tile along the corners of the walls of the tub and shower and also where the tile meets the top of the tub and top of the shower floor.  I have asked opinions of various employees at many home improvement stores and googled my question and get conflicting answers.  Some state I should re-grout the areas and some say to re-caulk the areas.  I am sick of having to redo this every two or three years, nothing seems to work.  To caulk or grout please I am begging HELP please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-03T00:59:48+0000  by Isurrender Isurrender

The rule is actually very simple.  A change in materials or a change in plane = caulk.  Where the wall meets the tub is caulked (change in materials).  Corner of a tiled shower stall is caulked (change in plane).

Use a 100% silicone caulk labeled for "kitchens and baths" because it has a higher mildewcide content.  Most of the major grout manufacturers offer color coordinated caulk if that is important to you.  As with any good caulk job, prep is everything.  The surfaces should be absolutely clean; free of any old caulk, grout, dirt, etc.  Proper ventilation also helps to keep reduce the growth of mold/mildew by removing moisture from the room.  The bathroom should have a properly sized fan and should run 15-20 minutes after bathing.  Using a timer is a good way to ensure the fan runs long enough.
Posted 2017-01-03T01:19:59+0000  by Adam444
Thank you very much for your response Adam444.  Greatly appreciated.

Posted 2017-01-03T18:19:20+0000  by Isurrender
Hello Isurrender and welcome to the Community!

I suggest you remove all caulk where the tub meets the tile, or where the shower base meets the tile, and re-caulk following Adam444 suggestions. The grout between tiles should be replaced with new grout and once the grout dries, I strongly suggest using a grout sealer. The grout sealer will penetrate the porous grout, extend the life  and prevent mold & mildew.

Grout sealers will also break down over time so you should seal your grout at least every 3-5 years. If you decide to not re-grout but only add grout where it is missing, then you should thoroughly clean your grout before sealing it. You do not want to seal in any dirt and contaminates causing permanent hard to remove stains in the grout.

I hope this helps you with your project.

Posted 2017-01-05T14:51:23+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+