Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

HELP!! Spong Painting

Thought I would try and do something different for a change and sponge paint the walls in my den. I think I chose the wrong colors. The base coat looks to dark and the top coat is def to light please help can,t afford to just go buy more paintIMG_20121212_143034.jpgIMG_20121212_143034.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-12T20:11:23+0000  by mee mee

Hello Mee!

The first thing I tell all my customers when they're developing a faux finish is, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

You could never create a faux finish that pleases everyone. In fact, one of my examples on The Community drew great reviews from most members, but one absolutely didn't like the look.

So, start with the idea that you're going to please yourself!

Color selection is also a very personal thing. I recommend using two color cards. Offset the glaze color about 1/4-inch behind the base color (the existing color of the wall or new base coat).

fauxcolor.jpg This will give you a much better idea about how the colors will work together.

Your finished color will be a blend of the two.

TECHNIQUE:

1) Glaze applied over a matte or low-sheen finish typically embeds into the finish making hard-edged spots.

2) So, your base coat is commonly applied in either a satin or semi-gloss finish. This allows your glaze to "slick around."

3) Mix four-parts faux glaze with one-part paint to create a diluted color that has soft, see-through edges when dry.

4) Choose your application tool ... sponge, rag, brush, etc. Almost any tool will do ... be creative!

5) Hold a dry terry towel in your opposite hand and dab glaze off of your application tool before going to the wall.

6) This technique (#5) creates light, wispy spots of color that accent your base color.

7) Cover one wall at a time using this technique and allow the wall to dry four-hours before adding another layer of glaze.

8) Using more than two colors is common. The third color should only be irregular spots to create additional hints of color.

9) Some prefer to clear coat their work. I recommend leaving your faux uncoated.

EXCEPTIONS:

1) Walls with existing color are often fauxed to create a fresh, new look in the room. As long as the existing sheen is satin or semi-gloss, faux technique will work well ... with lower sheens, repaint the base coat with satin or semi-gloss.

2) Faux glaze is commonly mixed 4-to-1, but you can mix 10-to-1 to create an even more see-through appearance. I often use a third color mixed 10-to-1 and then apply sporadic spots to create just a hint of this third color.

Finally, you don't have to buy a lot of additional paint when executing a faux. I recommend my customers buy a quart of faux glaze and a half-pint sample of their glaze color. Because faux isn't a solid coat, you use considerably less than when covering the complete wall with paint.

Here is a video I produced for another Community Member to describe faux technique. Although this technique involves Martha Living Precious Metals, your technique will be very similar with almost any paint and glaze combination.

Have a look!

If you like the ideas in this post, you may also want to read: Painting Vintage Furniture...Want A Beachy Look.

Posted 2012-12-13T15:02:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+