Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

HOME OWNER

I NEED TO CHANGE THE SCREWS THAT ARE HOLDING THE TANK TO THE BOWL BECAUSE IS IT LEAKING.  THE SCREW ARE RUSTED AND PART OF THEM FELL APART IN MY HAND.(LEAKING LONGER THAN I KNEW)  HOW CAN I GET THE SCREWS OUT TO REPLACEMENT THEM.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-12-30T14:12:50+0000  by EASTER EASTER

If they have deteriorated to the point where you can't get a screw driver to bite, then you only option is to drill or grind them out.  If you access to or would be willing to buy one, a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and/or grinding bit would be a great choice.  Because electricity and water don't mix, make sure it's plugged into a GFCI protected receptacle.

Another alternative is to drill out the bolts but if you haven't done this before the awkwardness of working in a toilet might not make this the best option for the newbie.  If you want to go that route, let us know and we can walk through the steps.

You will also want to replace the rubber seal between the tank and toilet as part of the repair.  Use stainless steel or solid brass replacement bolts.
Posted 2015-12-31T09:23:17+0000  by Adam444
First EASTER, turn off the water supply valve and empty the tank.

Beneath the tank, use small buckets and towels to prevent water damage to your floor, wall and trim.

With these precautions in place, lubricate and begin loosening the nuts on the tank bolts.

Should the bolt twist off or begin to spin, pliers or channel locks may help you hold the bolt head (inside the tank) while you loosen the nut.

Once loose, gently tap the bolts from the bottom until they move up and out of the ceramic base.

Be cautious not to fracture the ceramic tank.

Your local Plumbing Associate will help you locate a replacement set of Toilet Tank Bolts.

NOTE:
Consider replacing your tank-to-bowl seal while you have the bolts out.

These seals are brand-specific, so be prepared by knowing your brand toilet when you go to The Store.

Brands are sometimes printed on the outside and may also be identified by stamps into the ceramic inside the tank ... take pictures.
Posted 2016-01-07T15:26:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+