Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

HUGE useless niches next to and above fireplace. How do I remodel to make them useful?

I have a large TV niche next to my fireplace and an even bigger niche above both the fireplace and the tv niche.  I don't know what to do with them!  How would I go about converting them to a cabinet or shelf system that would look nice?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-30T21:31:14+0000  by JustletmeaskmyQ JustletmeaskmyQ

Hello JustletmeaskmyQ and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

Is it possible for you to send a photo so we can better help you create a space that you will enjoy?  In the meantime, I have several ideas for you to consider. 

EdenOCo_OR.jpg

Could you create “built-ins” over the TV niche to break up the space and create symmetry?  The shelf above the fireplace serves a similar purpose as a mantle; create an accent area by displaying a large mirror or tall piece of artwork.   Extending the cabinetry to the same depth will create a “built-in” effect.

ab0mmrs11.jpg

If the room is small or the niches are asymmetrical, consider adding a header over the space to unify the area.  A lighter color will give a more spacious feel to the room; darker colors will bring boldness to the space.

BelgraMRvHb_HE.jpg 

Would making the entire fireplace wall an accent create more harmony in the room?  Here the fireplace wall is encased in stone from floor to ceiling – totally changing the feel of the space.  Adjoining cabinets could also be designed from floor to ceiling to complement the look.

mtm_rs15.jpg 

Another option is to totally encase the space and take away the niches (or hide them behind cabinets).

I look forward to your photos and best wishes on your project. 

Eileen scipt.png

Posted 2013-12-31T14:43:48+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+