Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Half Wall/Glass Wall (Plexi Glass?)

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on changing an open half wall into a full wall by putting up glass or plexi-glass on the currently open top half.  I like the half wall as it allows people to look in but it also allows too much noise in.  I'd like to keep the visual aspect but keep out some of the audio by installing plexi-glass or glass to the upper half.  Problem: I have no idea how much this costs or how to go about it...does anyone have any insite or perhaps a video/website that can give additional info?

Thanks!

J.M.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-18T20:13:02+0000  by JenLee JenLee

Hey JenLee,

That sounds like a fun project and there are lots of ways to make it look great.

I can explain a few different ways on how to acheive this, but I need additional information.

Does the half wall have a wood top or is it drywall?

How long iS the wall and how tall is it?

Do both ends of the half wall meet with full wall, or does one end of the half wall just end in an open space?

Here is picture to better visualize what I'm asking.

HALF WALL.JPG

Posted 2011-05-19T13:29:07+0000  by gotogregg

Hi Greg -

I have the same issue in my house.  I need to baby proof a pony wall in my living room that over looks our foyer (split foyer floorplan).  We have wood across the top of the half wall (9' 3") and one end of the half wall meets with a full wall while the other end meets with open space.  Any guidance on how to attach plexiglas and make it look somewhat good would be greatly appreciated!   

Posted 2012-03-01T04:45:16+0000  by bwhite07

For the long term, my preference would be glass. Glass will never dull or get scratched , as does plastic. However, glass can break into dangerous shards. If you go with glass , definitely consider having it tempered.  Tempered glass if broken, shatters into small, relatively safe pieces. Tempering must be done after the glass is cut to size, as tempered glass cannot be cut. It you decide to go with glass, cut an exact  template out of thin plywood and have it prefabricated. A glass company can give you a firm estimate if given the exact dimensions. I have always been amazed at how reasonable glass can be. Larger sheets of Plexiglas are also not all that inexpensive.

Posted 2012-03-01T05:10:30+0000  by ordjen

Hi bwhite07,

I just wanted to add onto the great information that ordjen already stated. If you are still wanting to use plexiglass, consider one of the best kinds out on the market. One kind we sell, Lexan by GE, is a very good material to use all around the house. I personally have used it to protect my framed 94-year old WW1 map and framed artwork at my place.

Why? Well several reasons, namely that it is harder than standard acrylic plexiglass and will not yellow over time. It's pretty easy to drill holes into it for mounting and installation. You can further enchance the installation process by placing washers before screwing in any fasteners and applying silicone caulk rated for plastic & polycarbonate in areas where seams are present.

Lexan Polycarbonate Sheet

For you, I recommend this product because unlike any type of glass be it standard or tempered, this is a shatter resistant material. It's strength lies in its thickness and ability to withstand any hits or force applied to it, making it perfect for baby proofing!

So next time you are in the store, look for it alongside the standard plexiglass, it may cost a little more, but in the long run, you'll be thanking yourself that you put it in.

Regards,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-03-03T21:41:21+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Did this thread ever continue? I have a loft area I'm trying to childproof and would love to use Lexan, but could use some help on how to install. Mine is a loft area with regular walls on the side wood on the top of the pony wall, and a header on the top.  One side is really long (over 200") and the other side is about 120". I'm at a loss here as we want something asthetically pleasing that can be removed at some point. Both sides are on the 2nd floor and are open to the 1st floor, so mounting needs to be able to be done on one side only as it will be difficult to get to the other side without a 12 foot ladder. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. 
Posted 2015-10-26T18:20:41+0000  by Jodie1976

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+