Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay 993-855. Replaced receiver still won't work correctly.

My Hampton Bay 993-855 ceiling fan has never worked correctly. The lights work fine, but the fan only will spin at one speed (high I think) and can't be shut off with the remote. I just replaced the receiver, but that didn't solve the problem. I checked the supplied remote battery and it's at full strength (12v). I've also changed the code on the fan and in the remote. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-14T20:52:26+0000  by wolfcreek wolfcreek

Hey wolfcreek,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Since you replaced the remote/receiver and the dip switches are set, the lights work, but the fan doesn't.....it sounds like you may have a bad capacitor on your Hampton Bay Campbell 52 in. Mediterranean Bronze ceiling fan.

Campbell 52 in. Mediterranean Bronze Ceiling Fan with Remote

I'm sure everything was wired correctly, but to get to the capacitor, its usually above the light kit in the fan.

We unfortunately no longer sell capacitors in our store, but we have a few online. This part regulates the power going to each speed of the switch, and is about the size of a match book. While this may or may not be the culprit, I'd guess it would be considering you've already replaced the remote and receiver.

Check first to see if Hampton Bay can send you a replacement capacitor. They are fairly simple to replace, but getting access to it first is key. Contact them below at the number shown.

1011_15_HamptonBay_CustServ_.jpg

Short of just bad wiring from the factory or bad parts, try the replacement of the capacitor first.

Please update us on your progress, and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Joseph

Posted 2013-12-14T21:52:06+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello Joseph,

I think I might have already replaced the capacitor. Is it the small black box with an adhesive strip and two wires with plug in connectors that is located in the housing that the lights attach to?  If so, I've replaced that as well.

I have not replaced the remote- it controls the lights just fine. Thanks for your help and the quick reply.

Posted 2013-12-14T22:18:12+0000  by wolfcreek

Hey again,

Well if that is the case of you already replacing the capactior, I'd now opt for replacing the remote itself. I'm surprised you didn't, since our remote controls sold in our store and some online have both the receiver and the remote (aka transmitter).

Lots of remotes can go bad even if one of the functions works properly, just like your situation currently. Try a new remote and make sure it matches up with the receiver in order for it sync up and operate correctly.

Glad you are doing your homework and covering all your bases here.

Keep me updated on your progress,

Joseph

Posted 2013-12-14T22:42:20+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thanks Joseph,

I'll check it out. The nearest Home Depot is about 60 miles away, so we don't get there everyday. How do I make sure the remote matches the transmitter if I can just purchase the remote? The receiver and capacitor where sent to me free of charge after I called the help number in the installation manual to try and get my unit working. So I didn't get the receiver/remote as a package. 

Posted 2013-12-19T17:59:15+0000  by wolfcreek

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+