Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay Altura 68" fan NEED UNPUBLISHED SPECS

I am looking to purchase a Hampton Bay Altura 68 in. fan. My ceilings are only 105" from the floor, and the blades must clear a ceiling beam that is 6" high. What are the assembled heights from ceiling to blade bottoms with a flush mount vs. a standard mount with a 12" down rod? Also, what are the assembled heights from ceiling to blade tops with each of those mounts?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-11T17:55:01+0000  by ARB ARB

Hi ARB,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!

You do have a fairly short ceiling height (8.75 feet), but I'd say without the light kit, you can use the in-stock 68 inch Hampton Bay Altura Ceiling Fan WITHOUT a light kit or downrod on it.....and assuming this is the one you want (there are other versions of Altura).

Typically, the rule of thumb is to have 7 feet of minimum clearance from the floor to the bottom of the fan. Since the overall fan is 28.7 inches (I know you already know this), you'd need to remove the entire downrod and mount it flush for it to work. 

While I don't have the exact measurements (I'm at our office, not at the store at the moment), this would give you the only option given your 8.75 foot ceiling heights. Judging from taking out the 18" downrod that comes with it, I'd say you have about 11 to 15 inches of clearance via mounting it flush.

I will say that mounting it flush can present some challenges. It's not really designed to made flush, but there was a user on our site who made theirs flush alongside using it with a light kit. You can click on the image below for more information.

User submitted photo

This is why I'm not a fan of large fans (56" or wider) for short ceilings because they typically need a longer downrod for them to operate better. Thats not the say mounting flush won't work; it will, but these large fans are designed typically for large and high rooms.

Celling Fan Sizes

Also, while it will be okay to mount flush, be aware that this fan (or any mounted flush, since most have the same height) could be in the way whenever you are moving or have tall friends over. Therefore, if you can plan out the installation of the fan in a not-so-high-traffic area, that will greatly assist you.

In closing, the Altura fan can work for you, in flush mount form only. I'm sorry I don't have the exact measurements, but you'll get enough clearance in order for it operate properly and effectively.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2014-01-11T19:41:14+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Joseph,

Your comments above are completely wrong:  
"you can use the in-stock 68 inch Hampton Bay Altura Ceiling Fan WITHOUT a light kit or downrod on it..."

and     "
Also, while it will be okay to mount flush,.."
and     "Altura fan can work for you, in flush mount form only. I'm sorry I don't have the exact measurements, but you'll get enough clearance in order for it operate properly and effectively.

I bought 2 of these fans, installed them in my 8 foot ceiling family room.  I mounted both of them flush (did NOT use any downrod). When I turned them on high (pressing button 3) with the remote, there was absolutely NO flow of air while I stood under each fan (they were turning correctly for downward flow, NOT reversed). I then removed one fan to install the 18 inch downrod that was included, and only then was there good downward air flow on that fan. This obviously proves that flush mounting does NOT work; it does NOT allow enough airflow from the ceiling thru the blades to blow down. I will be returning both of these fans.
Posted 2014-06-22T23:27:31+0000  by F16joc

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+