Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Answered

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans

I have 2 Hampton bay fans that are about 4 years old. As some guests were sitting  at the tableone of the fan bladesbroke at the weld and flew across the room. Narrowly missing woman sitting in path. Is this a common problem? I really hate to go spend $200 or $300 to have it happen again. Next time injuring somebody. I have to replace both fans so that they match.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-07T02:04:42+0000  by lloydhudson lloydhudson

Haha :smileyhappy:

Thanks for letting me know the model. Now the next step, you can 

1. Take the busted piece to your store you purchased it from and show the busted piece (you are under warranty), having your receipt is a biggy too.

2. Call the number I have provided you in the other link so as to get you the proper part.

Your local store should be able to take care of you, if not, you have us here and option #2 for anything else!

Thank YOU  for your response.

Best Answer

Posted 2011-05-07T22:50:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey lloydhuson,

Sorry to hear about your ceiling fan blade debacle. I'm just glad nobody got hurt. I work at a Home Depot store in the Atlanta area and it feels like I have installed about as many Hampton Bay fans as I have sold in my lifetime there.

Now as for your blade breaking off at the weld, I am assuming that it broke off in the spot I highlighted below. 

ceilingfanarmbroke.JPG

As for welds breaking off and becoming airborne, it is not a common problem. Hampton Bay fans are created with quality and durability that also come with warranties that The Home Depot backs up, day after day, year after year.

Even with that said, I'd have to say from the blade breaking off, you could just of gotten a bad or weakened weld on your blade arm that made it from the factory to unfortunately your fan.

While there are many causes that could of lead to the blade breaking off, i'll give you a checklist so as make sure you won't have this happen ever again.

• make sure both fans are running smooth, without wobbling or any vibration. Blade failures can sometimes be compounded by the weak weld on the blade arm coupled with an irregular revolution of your fan motor spinning distorted. And as yours did, it failed at 4 years, not the day you got it. To solve that, check your junction boxes and make sure screws are installed securely. Also, blade balancing kits we sell are a great solution as well.
  • Closely inspect your other fan's blade arms to make sure there are warps, bends, or imperfections,if any.
  • Replace your existing blade out with a Universal Blade Arm Replacement Kit, replacing just one of the arms will not work on most ceiling fans that I have seen. To be safe, replace all of the arms with the finish that matches your ceiling fan, and keep your existing blades, if the one that went flying is still in good shape. We sell all of these parts, such as in the pictures below, come in and our lighting department associates can help you get the right replacement parts for your fan.

ceilingfanarms.JPG

As for another option, in case the items above in our store may not be the replacement parts you need, I have provided Hampton Bay's hotline number as well. Make sure you have your model # available when you speak to them, the number can be found on top of the motor housing. Don't worry, you won't have to take the fan down, simply get a pocket mirror and read off the number on top of the fan....works every time!

hamptonbay###.JPG

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2011-05-07T15:38:16+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately these blades and arms are not screwed on any any manner. they were welded to chassis. They appear to  be the Farmington model featured in ad this week. I think it must be a conspiracy....:smileyhappy:

On sale this week and broke this week.
Posted 2011-05-07T21:51:56+0000  by lloydhudson

I was incorrect. and you were correct. I obtained new fans this AM (on sale) and I had forgotten that the fan brackets were screwed on, just under a shroud. The new ones have some differences, blade attachments, and depth 2 inches less. But for my purposes they seem to work out just fine. Anybody up for two white ceiling fans, one of which is missing only one blade. collector items?:smileyvery-happy: :)

Posted 2011-05-09T00:03:11+0000  by lloydhudson

I was incorrect. and you were correct. I obtained new fans this AM (on sale) and I had forgotten that the fan brackets were screwed on, just under a shroud. The new ones have some differences, blade attachments, and depth 2 inches less. But for my purposes they seem to work out just fine. Anybody up for two white ceiling fans, one of which is missing only one blade. collector items? Will see about replacing part at store, have a few spots that might use working fans.

Posted 2011-05-09T00:05:30+0000  by lloydhudson

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+