Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Hampton Bay Fan - How to "Un"-Install the canopy

We are replacing an outdated Hampton Bay ceiling fan from 10 years ago but cannot remove the canopy from the ceiling mount. There are no visible screws by which it is attached. Any ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-23T00:06:54+0000  by jf jf
hi: Most fans come down by simply rotating the ring at the ceiling counter clockwise to have it drop down & expose the screws. Enjoy your new fan .
Posted 2011-05-23T05:34:46+0000  by elect_answers

Thank you for the reply. We've tried turning it clockwise (and counterclockwise for good measure) but the thing will not budge.

Posted 2011-05-23T09:12:00+0000  by jf

Hey jf,

elect_answers is absolutely right. The best approach I have found in situations like that if its stuck that way is just to wiggle in one direction then the other since one of the 4 screws that holds in the canopy is stuck. Then that should come down so you can have access to disassemble the now exposed canopy.

Hope this helps you out,

Posted 2011-05-23T13:25:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

On my model Hampton Bay, the canopy ring at the ceiling actually needed to be rotated 3/8" clockwise (not intuitive), where the four screws (not evenly distributed under the ring) will slide in their notches in the ring to their ends, and they will then allow the ring to just slip down. This doesn't happen easily since the notches are not quite as smooth as you would hope, and requires rotating the ring the small amount that it moves back and forth until it moves far enough to come off. Also, because of the distribution of the hidden screws, there are areas along the ring which are not held as tightly to the ceiling as others, where you can (after you shut off the power!) slip in a paint spatula to help loosen the ring a bit, being careful not to slide it in under the ring too far to avoid damaging the wiring.

Posted 2011-08-14T15:26:35+0000  by sz

Hello sz and welcome to the community! We are glad to have you join the forum.

Thank you for your help on this question.  Please keep us updated on your projects and feel free to join in helping others.  Again, thanks for joining the community,

Posted 2011-08-16T16:15:57+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Thank you sz.  That was exactly what it took to remove the canopy on my fan, although mine released easily.  You should do a youtube video for this.  That is where I started looking for a way to remove the ceiling fan, and was immediately stumped by all the videos that showed a screw on the canopy.  I already tried pulling down the canopy, to no avail.

Posted 2011-10-18T18:16:43+0000  by WJane

This is the worst design in the world.  I've tried for an hour to get this off and can not.  I'm sweating and my thumb is bleeding.  

Posted 2012-12-29T22:54:37+0000  by rgoldston
The model I( was attempting to replace has two decorative rings! one at the ceiling that is just "pressed into place" no screws or rotation, just gently pull down. Once removed I found three set screws.
Posted 2012-12-31T13:31:33+0000  by SouthernMan

Did you need to use anything to pop off the top ring? I can't get it to budge. My fan is 12 years old and the upper ring will not move.

Posted 2013-01-15T18:36:37+0000  by RobertMees

Hello RobertMees.  Welcome to the Community!

The majority of fan canopies that I have seen have an inner body that is screwed in and an outer one that in essence hides the screws.  This is why the usual practice is to rotate the outer canopy/ring just a little to release it.  Now you will see exposed screws that will allow you to remove the entire canopy.

Some models, like my flush mount at home, have exposed screws right up at the ceiling which need to be removed in order to lower the canopy.  They are exposed but cannot be easily seen unless you are on a ladder at near ceiling height.

Some models have 2 exposed rings, where the lower one either pulls straight down off a friction fit, (rare), or also needs to be twisted slightly left or right before it drops.  Once removed the mounting screws become exposed.

Unless someone has painted the ceiling after the fan was installed, I cannot imagine the need for any tool to pry or twist the parts.  

If you are stumped on how to remove the fan, the installation manual will show you how it is designed.

We can help you get a downloadable manual if you can supply the brand and UPC code from the sticker on the fan.

The sticker is usually found on the motor housing facing the ceiling where it would normally not be seen.

Posted 2013-01-15T20:01:57+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question