Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay Fan Switch

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan (not sure what model, purchased about 2 years ago) that the pull chain came out for the fan (the light pull chain works perfectly).  I wanted to replace it so I took out the old switch, went to Home Depot and bought a replacement one that is for 3 speed as well.

When I removed the old switch, I didn't note which color wire went into which position in the switch (1, 2, 3, L).  When I look inside my fan, there are 4 wires that went to the old switch - black, brown, gray, and purple.  I tested it and black is the hot wire (from what I've read, that means it goes in the L position).  Gray makes the fan go the fastest (from what I've read, that means it goes in the 1 position), but the other two appear to be roughly the same speed (very little difference).

My issue is, I've tried every iteration of changing the wire positions in the switch yet none of them work properly because the fan never turns off entirely as I make it through the cycle of pulls.  Can someone please help?  I would greatly appreciate it!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-03T17:02:38+0000  by sagegoldsmith sagegoldsmith

SageGoldsmith,

Thank you for reaching out! This is definitely something our tech support team will need to discuss/troubleshoot with you to determine if any parts are needed.

Our Hampton Bay Customer Service team can help identify your fan (in order to bring you on the line with the tech support team for your fan), but they will need the 12 digit UPC (looks like 123456-123456) found on a sticker on the top of the motor housing (also on receipt, barcode on box, instruction manual). I've attached a picture of the sticker the UPC/SKU is on so you can find it easily, then you can just give them a call at 877-527-0313.

Thanks!
- Nicki
Home Depot Customer Care Social Media Team

Posted 2014-01-06T15:06:30+0000  by THDCustomerCare

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+