Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Hampton Bay Fan Won't Turn

I've just purchased a Hampton Bay "Flowe" ceiling fan.  Model number is 1000 019 369.

Basically, it won't start.  I've checked the electrical, and I've got 120v going into it, when I hit the remote I hear the click of a relay (or something), and if I measure the output side of the remote, I get 120v going to the motor, but the motor doesn't turn.  Doesn't make any sound or anything like that - it's just dead.

I've just wired the mains power direct to the motor (taking out the remote, just in case there's something wrong there, though I doubt it, considering my earlier measurement), and it's the same.

I thought it might be the reverse switch, maybe in a "mid" position or something like that, but I actually can't find a reverse switch, and the manual (and everything I've found online) is utterly useless in helping me find where it might be.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I go through the hassle of taking it all down again.

Thanks.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-17T21:44:34+0000  by ProfPMJ ProfPMJ

Hey ProfPMJ,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

The Flowe ceiling fan by Hampton Bay does come with a remote control unit.

If you did bypass the receiver unit as you stated and still got correct line voltage coming in, the culprit could now be one of 3 reasons:

1.Capacitor is out on the fan (it's a part that regulates fan speed)

2. Loose wiring somewhere inside the housing

3. Bad motor

Hopefully, the 3rd option isn't the case, and the first 2 options are the easiest to ascertain and troubleshoot.

In either situation, your best bet is to contact Hampton Bay directly at the phone number below. Be sure to have not just your SKU number (1000 019 369), but also the UPC and model number listed on a sticker on top of the motor housing.

Image result for hampton bay customer service

If this is something as simple as a capacitor replacement, they can assist you with getting the correct one (since we don't sell them in our stores).

Keep us updated on your progress, and let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-07-18T14:04:31+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+