Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay Southwind 52 in. ceiling fan Model # 52371

I have installed 2 Hampton Bay Southwind 52 in. ceiling fans in my Superstorm Sandy damaged home.  They operate on high speed only and that is with the light on.   The dimmer button on either remote does not dim the lights.

When  I press medium or low on one  remote, the light goes off and the fan slows to an extremely slow speed which does not generate any breeze.  

The fan on the second unit  also only works on high speed with the light on.  When I press either medium or low on the remote, the light dims, the fan slows but the engine makes a very loud hum which sounds like the motor is straining.    Help please!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-06T16:14:52+0000  by bephair bephair

Hey bephair,

Thank you for your question and for joining us here on the community!

Since your Southwind ceiling fan comes with remote controls/receivers, I would say that these are the first things that need to be looked at.

Judging from the owners manual for your fan, the receiver can be easily accessed from the top canopy.

After you turn the power off leading to the fans, you can take the canopy cover off and test your receivers using a multimeter tester.

Even if you don't have a tester, you can remove one of the receivers and come into your nearest Home Depot and grab a replacement Hampton Bay remote control/receiver. While the receiver maybe bad and the remote is good, you can eliminate any guesswork with this kit, since it comes with both parts.

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote Control

You can change out one receiver, and see if there is a difference in your fan speed. Remember to set the dip switches to the same settings.

If changing out the receiver doesn't work, it could be a capacitor or wiring issue. For any further troubleshooting information, you can contact Hampton Bay directly at their number shown below.

1011_15_HamptonBay_CustServ_.jpg

let us know if this information has assisted you, and I hope to hear from you again,

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-10T18:44:37+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Thank you, Joseph.  How much is a  replacement Hampton Bay remote control/receiver?  Or do I have to pay for it as the fan has just been installed 2 weeks ago?

Posted 2013-07-11T00:16:41+0000  by bephair

You are quite welcome.

For the price of a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan remote/receiver, simply click on the remote above in this thread. It will link you to the local price, and it will let you know if your local store has it.

You can call Hampton Bay if you wish, but getting  a simple replacement from the store will save you the time in terms of ordering it. I don't think you are covered with the warranty that Hampton Bay has, but calling them first won't hurt either. At the very least, it can save you a little bit of money if you order it directly through them.

Keep us updated, and I hope to hear from you soon,

Joseph

Posted 2013-07-13T16:41:33+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+