Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay Windward II white ceiling fans: two remotes not working

Hello:

1. On October 6, 2016, I placed an internet order for two Hampton Bay Windward II fans from Home Depot.

2. On October 13, 2016, the fans were delivered to my home.

3. The electrician installed the two fans on October 17, 2016.

4. The fans were installed so that they could operate with both a wall switch and the (included) remote control device.

5. After complete installation, the fans operated only via the wall switch.

6. The remote control devices did not work at all, so:

a. the user cannot change the fan speed; and

b. the light does not work.

7. I attempted to troubleshoot this issue while the electrician was still at my house.

8. I found a website indicating that a hotline had been set up to address Hampton Bay issues; to wit, the number posted was 1-877-527-0313.

9. Even though it was 4:20 p.m. Pacific Time, there was no answer.

10. In pertinent part, many of the website comments instructed users to locate and adjust the frequency dip switches on the remote control devices.

11. To that end, the electrician tried various dip switch combinations, none of which worked. 

12. I am sending this email to you in order to:

a. document the underlying issue;

b. inform you that I tried to call the hotline, but it was not available; and

13. I will try the hotline again tomorrow, October 18, 2016.

14. I will also bring the remote control boxes to my local Home Depot for exchange.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-18T02:37:16+0000  by DesertDweler DesertDweler

Sorry to hear about the troubles with you new fans.  I don't work for Home Depot but as I recall Hampton Bay's support folks are on the east coast and have something like 9-5 EST hours, Monday thru Friday.

If you read through the messages here, remotes are far and away the leading cause of problems with fans.  Frankly, I'd avoid using them and since you're working with an electrician it shouldn't be too difficult for him to wire the the fans directly, using a simple wall mounted controls that should be trouble free for many, many years.
Posted 2016-10-18T10:36:37+0000  by Adam444
Thanks for your comment.  The good news: the electrician installed wall mounted controls. The bad news is that I only get one speed (high -- which is fine in the living room, but I may desire a lower speed over the dining room table), but no lights.  I was too busy today with other errands, but will try the hotline tomorrow again, and then head over to Home Depot with the two non-functioning remotes.
Posted 2016-10-19T03:24:43+0000  by DesertDweler

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+