Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Hampton Bay fan light turns about every 20 minutes in the middle of the night.

My husband and I just moved into a home with Hampton Bay ceiling fans. We love them...except for one thing. The light on the fan in our bedroom turns ON in the middle of the night without anyone touching anything. When I turn it off on the remote it turns off but then 20 minutes later the light is on full blast again. We don't have very good air conditioning so we rely on the fan to keep us cool but it's impossible when the light is turning on in the middle of the night. The strange thing is that it doesn't happen during the day, only at night. I have read through the manual many times but cannot find a reason for this. I thought maybe it had to do with the light delay button or the light timer but both turn the light off, not on. Please help! It's 4:30 am and I still haven't slept!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-31T09:36:11+0000  by lisakapisa7 lisakapisa7

Hey there Lisapisa7, I’m Blake from Home Depot out here in California. I ran into the same problem when moving into a new place out here. There are basically two reasons you may be having problems with your lights. The first (and easiest to fix) is simple RF interference. It is possible that some other device that uses radio frequency is talking to your fan on accident.

The fix for this is to change the frequency that your fan listens to.

-Open up your remote control battery compartment and locate the set of dip-switches

-Change the switches around (it doesn’t matter what you set them to, only that your receiver matches)

-The next step is to turn off your circuit breaker that powers the fan (just in case. You will not need to do any wiring for this fix)

- Test that the power to the fan is dead using a voltage detector

-Drop the canopy by removing the screw cover and unscrewing it from the mounting bracket

remote canopy.JPG

-Pull out the receiver and make the dip switches match your new remote code

dip switches.JPG

-Close everything up and test to make sure the fan works, wait to see if the problem arises again

If this doesn’t work you may have a faulty receiver, which would need to be replaced with a universal kit available at most lighting and home improvement stores.

I hope this works for you Lisa!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

-Blake

Posted 2011-06-01T18:53:30+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hey this system doesn't work very well.  I typed up a reply and left to go to antoehrtab and when I came back everything was gone.  Anyway BlakTheDiyGuy I have two of the Hampton Bay light/fans in different rooms and they turn on and off whenever they feel like it.  Day or night.  And it is disturning at night but I need the remote and that is why I purchased a remote in the first place.  I had a very bad incident in 1977 with my then 3 1/2 yer old daughter and am scared and therefore I need the convenience or necisity I should say of the light.  Unless I use a flashlight?  I cannot afford to either hire an electrician to do this work, or to take the lights down and return them to HD so that is a moot point at this juncture.  I feel that if this is not an isolated case and the problem is with the light from Hampton Bay and it was sold by HD they have an obligation to make it right.  I know you are going to say well take them down, but I am a 70 year old disable single woman so I cannot do it.  I would appreciate an answer to this  I tried many things until I thought GOOGLE and found this and that I wasn't alone.  Thank you for any assistance you may give me.  My sotre is at Lugonia Avenue, in Redlands, CA and I live in Redlands, CA about a mile from the store.  

Posted 2013-12-25T19:45:15+0000  by jladner71111111

Hey BlakeTheDiyGuy,  I have two of the lights in separate rooms that turn on and off and not always at the same time and sometimes it's the fan and sometimes the light and sometimes both.   It is very disturbing and I cannot afford to have an electrician come out and do the work.  I purchashed these from HD and it sure would be nice if they had someone to come out and do the changing of the electrical part on the light itself.  I can probably figure out the remote. Mine does it not just at night but whenever it feels like it.  These light were not CHEAP lights either.  They are identical and I don't want to have to take them down and return them to HD because it has been a while since I bought them.  And besides again I would have to hire someone to do it.  I feel it is either HDs responwsiblity to take care of it or Hampton Bay considering it is something that is inherent in the light and not just an isolated thing.  I was trying everything before I thought, I'm going to google it and see if there are any others that have this problem.  I live in Redlands, CA.  The nearest store to me is on Lugonia Street, in Redlands, CA.  Can you do anything for me.  I need the light remote at night because I had an incident in 1977 with my then 3 1/2 yer old daughter that has left me rather scared and if I hear a noise I need to be able to get up and see where I am going to get help.  And I bought these light fans in good faithh that they would "properly" and not be waking me up at all hours sometimes multiple times in a night.  At leqast I found out that I'm not alone, but I want it fixed.  I am a 70 yer old disabled woman so you must be able to realize the position I am in.  

Posted 2013-12-25T19:49:09+0000  by jladner71111111

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+