Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Hampton Bay fan stopped working

I have a 2006 Hampton Bay ceiling fan wth remote / lights. Model AC-552. Its hard-wired to power, and the remote is used to control both light and fan (i.e. no wall switch). Both lights and fan no longer turn on, so I'm trying to fix it. I can confirm there is power feeding to the remote sensor, and I'm also reading 120v from both the blue and black wires that are part of the harness that hangs from the fan module to the light module.

Can anyone provide info on how to trouble shoot from there? I'm assuming it could be either a remote or controller issue, but since there is power out of the remote box and I'm unfamiliar with how the various parts interact, I'm not sure where to go from here.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-19T01:07:23+0000  by tyrenta tyrenta

Sounds like your troubleshooting skills are spot on.  I might suggest bypassing the remote module and seeing if the fan will run.  

Posted 2014-01-19T01:33:50+0000  by Adam444

Tyrenta,

We can definitely assist with getting additional trouble shooting info on this unit & any parts that need to be ordered can be done through the manufacturer.

Once you can locate the model #, SKU, &/or UPC inside the manual as well as on top of the fan motor housing. I've attached a picture of the housing sticker here so you can locate it easily.

After you find the info, just give our Hampton Bay team a call at 877-527-0313 & our team will assist you to resolution.

Thanks!

-Nicki

Posted 2014-01-20T20:48:52+0000  by THDCustomerCare

I was able to solve the issue -- in case it helps anyone else in the future:

after trying everything to understand why the fan / lights wouldn't work when they were receing power at the harness, including continuity tests of the lights which were fine, I decided to pull the remote from the system. 

In the process of finding the right breaker to kill the power, I inadvertantly cut the power to the remote sensor box, then turned it back on. The fan immediately started turning.

Does the remote sensor box have a reset feature? It would help to document this if so. All it needed was a power cycle -- back in business.

Posted 2014-01-20T21:50:16+0000  by tyrenta

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+