Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Hampton Bay remote receiver question

I just bought a house. It has a Hampton Bay fan with no pull chains and a missing remote. A wall switch operates the fan (one speed only) but it does not turn on the fan lights.

The fan is a Redington(?).  The model is 52-RDT and on top of the fan it has #099840 and UPC#082392345556.

I purchased a Hampton Bay remote as a replacement. After removing the canopy I did not see any receiver in the fan but here is what I saw:

ceiling red wire connected to fan black wire.

ceiling white wire connected to fan white wire.

ceiling bare wire connected to green fan wire and grounded.

ceiling black wire hanging free

I expected to see a blue (lighting) wire from the fan but I do not see any.

This leaves totally confused because there is nothing for me to connect the blue receiver wire to.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-18T03:15:19+0000  by mike801 mike801

Hello mike801 and thank you for joining our discussions.  We are glad that you are here.

Call our Hampton Bay team at 1-877-527-0313 (option 2) and provide the UPC number.  They will help you with your wiring dilemma. 

Best wishes and thank you for joining The Community.

Posted 2012-01-18T13:42:48+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

I have hooked up hundreds of ceiling fans with light kits and have never seen a fan without the blue wire coming out of the motor or downrod, unless......... there is a receiver inside the motor housing from the factory.

You said you purchased the house with the fan already there and it is possible the former homeowner might have lost the remote.

Just a thought

Posted 2012-01-18T20:31:03+0000  by AAriondo

Thanks for the reply.

The first response advised that I call Home Depot but then I read your reply.

I took another look and sure enough the receiver was in the housing. There was a tiny cutout showing the dip switches but these are only visible when you tilt the fan. I changed the dip switch settings on the remote to match the receiver but the fan still did not work.

At that point I decided to replace the ceiling fan with one that had pull chains partly because I was also concerned with loss of the remote in the future. I  was able to install the new fan myself and everything works.

Once again thanks for the tip.

Posted 2012-01-26T13:50:55+0000  by mike801

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+