Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Hand painting various objects

HI!

I am remodeling my a room and want to handpaint their white light switches and outlet covers. What paint do I use that will be longlasting and easy to wipe down. Also, I would like to hand paint designs on their wooden dresser knobs. WHat sort of paint should I use for that? Ok.....last question..... I want to paint their room a light pink and gray vertical stripes. What is the best way to do this successfully and evenly and what additional materials might I need bedsides the basic paint and painting supplies?

Thanks so much!!

Veronica FLeming

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-04T14:14:51+0000  by vflemingrn vflemingrn

Welcome to our community Vflemingrn!

Thank you for your questions!

What paint do I use that will be long lasting and easy to wipe down (for the light switch and outlet covers)?

The very first thing you should do it scuff the plates with sandpaper. Light switch and outlet covers are very slick and need to be scuffed before they can be painted.

After you have scuffed the surface, prime each of them with oil based primer. Using oil based primer will ensure that your paint sticks to the surface without chipped and scratching. Once the primer has dried, you can paint the covers.

The shinier the paint is, the easier it is to clean, and the more durable it is. However, the shinier it is, the more the brush strokes will show. With that being said, as long as you use a high quality brush and don’t rush through the process, you will not have to worry about brush strokes being an issue. I would suggest using either semi-gloss or high gloss paint.

For extra added protection, apply a clear coat on top of the paint once it dries. This will give a hard, protective coat and keep your covers looking newer, longer.

What paint would I use for wooden dresser knobs?

If the wooden dresser knobs have been painted or stained previously, follow the same directions for the outlet covers above.

If they have not been painted, you can eliminate the sanding step. You also do not need to use an oil based primer, latex based will work just as well. But if you don’t want to buy a different kind of primer (which I would understand! :) ) you can use oil based primer.

You also have the option to use a paint and primer in one instead of applying a separate primer. You mentioned wanting to paint a design, so this may be a good option for you.

I would highly recommend applying a clear coat since knobs get lots of wear and tear.

I want to paint light pink and gray vertical stripes. What is the best way to do this successfully and evenly and what additional materials might I need bedsides the basic paint and painting supplies?

The key to painting vertical stripes is patience. You will first paint the wall the more dominate color. If you are doing the same size stripes across the wall, you won’t have a dominate color, so just choose which one you want to paint first. It would be best to paint the lighter color first, which in your case will more than likely be the pink.

After you have painted the lighter color, wait 24 hours. The reason you will wait 24 hours is because there isn’t a painter’s tape that will not pull off paint that hasn’t cured for 24 hours. Most painters tape requires that you wait at least 7 days before putting it on a painted surface. However, 3M Delicate Surfaces tape only requires 24 hours.

But before you start putting up painters tape, you will want to measure your stripes and draw a faint line with a pencil. Using a yard stick would be the best way to measure and draw the lines.

After your lines are drawn, put up your painters tape and roll like you would any other wall.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)     

Posted 2013-11-04T18:05:04+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+