Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Hanging a Television Above a Fireplace

Hello Community-

I received this questions from community member, wesley.  Can someone help provide the information that he is looking for?

Wesley asks:  "Is it ok to hang a 51 in. TV above a fireplace?"

Thanks, How-to Community!

Tara

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-11T17:50:43+0000  by HomeDepotTara HomeDepotTara

Tara-

What is his concern? Is it drilling into the bricks? Or is he concerned about heat/soot and how it would affect the electronics?
Posted 2012-12-11T19:38:50+0000  by CoastalClass

Hi Wesley,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community. 

Hanging your TV above the fireplace will depend on how much you use your fireplace and how hot it gets.  I have a wood burning fireplace that radiates a lot of heat so I would not be in favor having my flat screen above the fireplace. 

Depending on how you have your fireplace configured, i.e,  gas or wood burning, will be the deciding factor on whether you should put your flat screen TV above your fireplace.  I have seen it done many times but it is usually placed above an inactive fireplace or a gas log fireplace.    The concern here is the excess heat from your fireplace which can damage the electronics of you TV.

To answer your question as to it being OK to hang your TV over the fireplace, sure you can do it, just be aware of the possible consequences if you due.  If you have the proper insulation that will prevent the heat from getting to your TV then you should be OK.

Be sure to take some pictures of your fireplace before and after you hang you TV and share them with us.  Please let us know if you have any further questions about the installation of your TV over the fireplace.

This has been another of,

Posted 2012-12-11T20:22:51+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

CoastalClass-

I believe that he's more concerned about the heat and how it would affect the electronics.  Thanks for your help!

Tara

Posted 2012-12-11T21:54:57+0000  by HomeDepotTara

Personally, I would not be too concerned with the heat if the fireplace has a normal protruding mantel above the firebox. The TV will certainly receive no radiant heat from the fire, and conductive heat will be deflected away from the TV by the mantel. If in doubt, put a thermometer on the mantel and get a roaring fire going. I doubt the temp over the mantel will be more than several degrees above  the ambient room temperature.

Also, if the TV is a plasma type, they release large amounts of heat on their own. My first plasma TV threw off about 1500 BTU's, or like having an electric heater set on low. My 50 inch plasma consumed over 500 watts!

I would be more concerned with the viewing location. A high mounted TV requires the neck to be arched upwards. This is an uncomfortable angle to hold the head for long periods. A better height is that of the eye level when seated.

Further, the TV then becomes the dominant focal point of the room, detracting from the fireplace itself.

Posted 2012-12-13T04:03:15+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+