Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Hanging a plug-in pendant lamp from concrete ceiling

I just bought a plug-in (not hardwired) pendant lamp to hang over the dining table in my apartment (here's the lamp: http://www.cb2.com/lighting/accessories/eden-pendant-lamp/f4773.  As I was pre-drilling the hole into the ceiling for the ceiling hook, the drill would only go a short distance into the drywall (I have your standard portable, cordless Black & Decker drill).   Upon further inspection, I discovered the ceiling is actually concrete above the thin layer of drywall.  What can I do to hang my light?  I am afraid about drilling into the concrete as I live in a rental, but I don't know if there is an epoxy/ glue that would be strong enough to hold the lamp up.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-17T15:50:09+0000  by nyc_apt_dweller nyc_apt_dweller

Hey NYC_Apt_Dweller,

Glues are not likely the solution.

The first step would be asking permission from the association or manager. You might find that they have a Superintendant who would help you hang the lamp.

If you decide to DIY, you will need a one and one-half inch expansion bolt made for anchoring into cement and a masonry drill bit in the size recommended on the expansion bolt package. Both are available at the Store or most local hardware stores.

ExpansBlt.jpg

Your existing drill may require recharging during the project, but should be OK.

Drill a one and one-quarter inch deep hole into the cement, center the expansion bolt and use a wrench to tighten the bolt. The beveled end of the expansion bolt will cause the sleeve around the bolt to expand in the hole and will anchor firmly in the cement.

Since the bolt is slightly longer than the hole you drilled, you will have about one-half inch exposed to attach the lamp. Consider including a washer before installing the bolt. And be sure to test the attachment to ensure that it will hold the weight of the lamp.

Expect to spend about $15 - $20 and the process should take no more than 45-minutes.

Hope this helps!

Posted 2011-03-17T16:25:21+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+