Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Hanging a rug on a wall

Need to know what is the best way to hang an 5ft x 7ft area rug on the wall?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-18T03:28:30+0000  by ejrfea ejrfea
Hello ejrfea!

Jay has taken on a new role at The Home Depot, but we're happy to follow-up on the thread!

Hiding the mounting screws will help maintain your wool rug as a focal point in your design.

This is fairly easy if you use a Key Hole Router Bit and Key Hole Hangers.

This bit "plunges" into the backer board and slides toward the top to cut a mounting hole inside the board ... hiding the mounting screws.

The Key Hole Hangers will make secure mounting points for screws.

I hung an antique wool rug using this technique, measuring and attaching mounting screws into the framing studs behind the sheet rock.

Framing studs are commonly installed at sixteen-inch intervals.

Use a stud finder to precisely locate the studs and test-fit the screw heads to ensure they slide easily into the key holes.

ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE:
French Cleat Picture Hanger may be even easier than cutting Key Holes.

Use your stud finder to locate studs and anchor the hanger to the wall.

Then attach the second part of the hanger to the rug support.

Several hangers may be required to support the weight of your rug.

When done, please take time to post photos of your solution.

Posted 2014-09-02T18:59:25+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Jay,

I realize that this is a very old post but am hoping you will reply. I have a heavy wool rug that I want to hang on the wall. Have followed you instruction  for the rug hanger and have 2 pieces of wood and handles ready. 2 questions are unclear for me. 1st - hoe far from the center I have to drill the holes. 2nd - what type of hardware I sold be looking for for to mount it on the wall. You are mentioning some hanger hooks on the back. Grateful if you could specify what goes on the wall and what goes on the wood piece. It is my understanding that it needs to be hang pretty flat so not much is seen when you looking on the left/right side of the rug. Many thanks!!!
Posted 2014-09-02T15:19:57+0000  by NataD

Use zbar hanger for rug is excelent hanging carpet hanger,

carpet will be flush to the wall .try zbarhanger.com and look for zbar for carpet.

Posted 2014-02-01T23:21:03+0000  by carinapicture

For light-weight  rugs, you can stitch small gauge key rings to the back of the rug and hang it on the wall. It looks really elegant.

Posted 2013-01-27T14:00:14+0000  by belmanliving

Wall rug prjct

Just wanted to share my take on your awesome advice!!

Posted 2012-12-08T23:44:29+0000  by trochenator

Not a problem carpetsondmove,

Glad I could help point out some solutions for you = )

Posted 2012-09-20T16:38:57+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

I find the Method 2 or The use of cloth rings is more convenient for my lightweight rug. Thanks Mr. Jay. :)

Posted 2012-09-20T05:30:07+0000  by carpetsondmove

Thanks for helping to clear that up Paul. = )

Like he mentioned, djdaniel, you don't have to paint it nor do you have to stain it. I just thought that the piece that I picked out had some character to it already and I opted to leave the color as is, but you can optionally stain it if you so desired. A good point you brought up though, so thank you for sharing it with the rest of the community!~ = )

Posted 2012-06-22T16:31:43+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

You don't necessarily have to paint the wood. If you wanted the natural wood color to be present, you can simply use some clear stain, shellac, laquer or polyurethane, in the finish of your choice. Jay mentioned staining the wood, the Minwax stain sold by THD has a bit of sealer in it, as that's how the pigment in the stain is held to the wood. The sealer acts as a binder (glue) for the pigment.

Posted 2012-06-17T14:31:15+0000  by Paul

I like the simplicity of your rug hanger; however, three other articles I read, by experts in textiles, stated emphatically that you should paint any wood that comes in contact with fabric, to prevent acids from the wood from staining the fabric.

Dennis Daniel

Posted 2012-06-16T16:10:53+0000  by djdaniel
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+