Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Hard wood floors

We have hard wood floors in our living room and in two bedrooms. The two bedrooms don't need to be redone. But the living room does, it has several spots where the stain is no longer present. I've sanded the floors down in one section to try it first. I've stained it but the stain isn't as dark as the rest of the wood flooring. I've purchased several different stains to make sure I have the darkest one. My problem is I'm sanding back to the original flooring and it doesn't match the floor now. Is there anything I can do to achieve the same color flooring that I have now?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-26T18:00:07+0000  by TristanL TristanL

Having done this a more than a few times, I can tell you that color matching finishes with wood can be a real challenge and the reality is that no matter how much you try, you may not get an exact match.  Depending on how important color matching is to you and your budget you might want to bring in a professional who has experience with this kind of work.  If that isn't an option...

Your best bet is to pick up some pieces of unfinished flooring of the same species to use as test pieces and cut them into about 12" lengths.  Sand them exactly as you intend to sand your floor (typically to 100 grit).  I would also suggest using an oil based stain because they take longer to dry and therefore give you more working time.  Typically stains can be mixed (same brand/type) but you need to carefully measure the stain you use in your "recipe" so that you can scale it up for the actual floor.  Generally, the longer you leave the stain on the wood, the darker the end result will be but you don't want to let it dry.  Five minutes is usually about the maximum and then you wipe off any excess with a clean cloth.  Once the stain is dried, you must put on the same top coat you intend to use on the floor because the top coat will effect how the stain looks.  The effect is less dramatic with water based coatings, while oil based ones will add a noticeable yellow cast.

Given the amount of time it may take to come up with a color match, it maybe be less time consuming (although more expensive) to simply refinish all the floors.  I might also suggest that you skip shopping for supplies at the local home center and visit a flooring supplier that caters to the trade.  Visit in the late morning or early afternoon when they're less busy and ask for product suggestions.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.
Posted 2016-10-26T20:53:22+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+