Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Hardwood Cleaning

I had some people over a few nights ago and I noticed that someone had spilled a bottle of sticky, flavored vodka on a section of the floor about 3 feet in diameter. My guess is that it was there about an hour and a half judging by the amount of time the person seated next to the spill had been asleep. Either way, it's still feels sticky even though I've been over it about 5 or 6 times with a pad and spray bottle of half water/vinegar solution.  Any suggestions on how to remove that "sticky" feel would be greatly appreciated. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-14T00:56:19+0000  by delshooter delshooter

Hey there delshooter,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Sorry to hear about the messy spot you have on your hands. While normally multipurpose cleaners are able to remove build up such as this, you do want to take care especially with a material such as hardwood. I was going to recommend using a diluted vinegar solution before noting that you have already tried it. A bit of mild detergent can help as well to remove the spot as well. The key in this scenario however, is hot water, and plenty of it. The only caveat to this is that you  do not want to saturate the sponge or area with water, because then you'll have an even bigger mess on your hands. What I'll stress is to use as little water as possible, but make it as hot as you can. Take a sponge to treat the area and rub relatively rigorously to remove the residue as much as you can. It takes a lot of elbow grease but it's doable. 

Posted 2013-03-14T17:28:28+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

delshooter wrote:

I had some people over a few nights ago and I noticed that someone had spilled a bottle of sticky, flavored vodka on a section of the floor about 3 feet in diameter. My guess is that it was there about an hour and a half judging by the amount of time the person seated next to the spill had been asleep. Either way, it's still feels sticky even though I've been over it about 5 or 6 times with a pad and spray bottle of half water/vinegar solution.  Any suggestions on how to remove that "sticky" feel would be greatly appreciated. 

This is general problem of spilling sticky fluid on floor. Just use some scrubber, hot water, vinegar or any magic cleaner. Make sure chemical is not too strong to take away color of your floors.

Posted 2013-03-15T07:16:14+0000  by jacksnergis

jacksnergis wrote:

delshooter wrote:

I had some people over a few nights ago and I noticed that someone had spilled a bottle of sticky, flavored vodka on a section of the floor about 3 feet in diameter. My guess is that it was there about an hour and a half judging by the amount of time the person seated move out cleaning brisbane next to the spill had been asleep. Either way, it's still feels sticky even though I've been over it about 5 or 6 times with a pad and spray bottle of half water/vinegar solution.  Any suggestions end of lease cleaning brisbane on how to remove that "sticky" feel would be greatly appreciated. 

This is general problem of spilling sticky fluid on floor. Just use some scrubber, hot water, vinegar or any magic cleaner. Make sure chemical is not too strong to take away color of your floors.

Is your problem solved or still trying hard to clean hardwood

Posted 2013-03-16T15:42:15+0000  by jacksnergis

delshooter,

Do you live in an older home?  if so, you might possibly have an old fashioned shellac type flinish on your floor. Alcohol is the solvent for shellac and an alcoholic drink may have partially softened it. Try rubbing a small area with denatured alcohol (grain alcohol which has been "poisoned" for tax purposes, making it undrinkable). If it is shellac, the alcohol will remove it and you should then be able to re-shellac it.. If you have "high test" pure vodka, it too should loosen the shellac.

Just a possibility

Posted 2013-03-21T06:04:18+0000  by ordjen
Austral Cleaning Brisbane has the capability to do the job. Free yourself from doing those dirty jobs. Let us take that weight off your shoulders while your doing something more important. Our team will ensure you high quality results for an immaculate household.
Posted 2015-06-19T03:25:43+0000  by AustralCleaning

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+