Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Has anyone tried stain on laminate floor using gel stain or something similar?

I have different types / color shades of laminate floor in different rooms, and wanted to make them similar finish / color. I know this is not hardwood (which can be sanded and stained) but just looking if someone has tried to stain laminate floor and how successful was that..

thanks!!!

SV

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-09T19:45:34+0000  by SValera SValera

Hello SValera!

MinWax Gel Stain is great for non-porous verticle surfaces ... like metal or fiberglass doors.

However, the Gel Stain is not intended for application on floors.

So, while you might be able to even the color across multiple surfaces, the coating would not survive foot traffic.

Posted 2014-01-09T21:00:41+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

hi Pat,

thanks for your reply, got the same answer in local homedepot.

But came across following on the internet..

http://www.ehow.com/how_6822290_change-color-engineered-wood-flooring.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7681086_change-color-laminate-flooring.html

wondering how effective is such approach..

I would like to try this out on a sample laminate plank and see how it turns out..

Let me know your insights..

Thanks

Posted 2014-01-09T21:11:35+0000  by SValera

Hello Again SValera!

If you've read many of my threads, you'll know that I believe manufacturers devote considerable resources toward instructions that give their customers the best opportunity for success.

On the other hand, I have also published numerous creative threads in which my customers used unique products ... even those not available at The Store.

NOW YOUR FEEDBACK:

When I read these threads, it occurs to me that the writer says two important things:

... changing the color of engineered wood is not typically done; and

... some darkening is possible in some cases.

As I read further, the thread notes use of a "water-based gel stain."

The gel stain we currently sell at The Store is oil-based.

CONCLUSION:

The idea of darkening engineered floors to change multiple colors into one matching color seems a bit of a stretch.

And, I am not familiar with the water-based gel stain ... have not read that label ... or seen the product demonstrated.

So, I would recommend you contact the writer and verify which product is being used.

Then follow your own good suggestion ... test the procedure on several samples.

I BELIEVE IN DIY:

And, I also see creative applications that turn out much better than my imagination ever suggested.

Stay with samples, not your installed floor, and follow up to let The Community know what you find!

DURABILITY IS THE REAL TEST:

If you're able to produce a uniform final color across different color laminate samples, be certain to walk on them for a few weeks before applying your new-found technique to your installed floors.

After all, surviving foot traffic should be your ultimate test!

Posted 2014-01-09T21:56:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+