Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Help?? Free-standing/wall-less decor

Hi I'm decorating for my club's festival but we're not allowed to tape or affix anything to the walls (rental policy), so I'm really finding it impossible. Our theme is Japanese, which really requires mostly lanterns and in lieu of posters, big backdrops that don't fit on easels.
We have limited permission to decorate from the ceiling, but again, no tape or anything that would leave marks (i.e. hooks), so I'm thinking of looping string around...
My main question is, Is there a way to purchase not-expensive (our budget is okay...) free-standing poles or lampposts-without-lamps between which I can hang strings of lanterns/large backdrops? Or, what's the closet thing to them?

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great too, thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-28T05:27:45+0000  by RWashington RWashington

Hello RWashington and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

I can tell you from experience what I have done for previous events – and it was fun!  My project involved a photo shoot which required a solid backdrop and the budget was T-I-G-H-T.  So I created a “wall” from PVC pipe and fabric material to achieve the necessary background.  Here is a suggested shopping list:

Party supplies.jpg

The PVC pipe comes in 10 foot lengths and is found in the plumbing department at your local Home Depot store.  You assemble pieces to create a “wall” by using tees and elbows.  I started with 1” PVC pipe and dry fitted the pieces to my satisfaction.  At home or on site, use the PVC Cutting Tool to cut (ratchet) the pipe into lengths as desired.  Put the “legs” into Homer Buckets filled with sand or pea pebbles for stability.  Repeat as necessary to fill your wall(s).  Cover the bucket with cloth or paint over it to match the décor and remove the handles after the bucket and display is in position.  You can even paint the PVC pipe to match the decor.  After the event – use the sand or pea pebbles in your garden!

pattern.jpg

As for the backdrop, I used sheer curtains – open the top casing and simply feed the seam through the pipe to create a “hanging tapestry” effect.   Arrange the cloth to cover the tees and elbows.  Alternatively you could use a drop cloth (check the length and weight – long enough to touch the floor and light enough not to sag the PVC.  (Once I even used solid colored TWIN size bed sheets!)  Leave “plain” or enlist an artistic member of your team to paint scenes or watercolor effects on the free flowing panels.

You can hang the lanterns as appropriate from the upper level of the PVC pipe structure.  If they have flames – hang between the curtains as necessary for safety.  Check out the assortment of metal shower hooks and cable ties – be sure they are wide enough to fit around the pipe.  If weight is a concern – use shorter segments of the upper pipe to support the weight.  Hang your big backdrops over the curtained area.

Best wishes with your festival decorations!

DW Japanese.jpg

Posted 2012-08-28T14:39:03+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

You can also make use of the 3M Command products. They will release from most walls and with the variety of options available, you should be able to find something that will hold whatever weight you need.

Click here for a demonstration

Posted 2012-08-28T20:09:49+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+