Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Help! Latex paint peeling off walls

I just purchased a home that someone flipped and they painted latex over ALL of the walls. I am pretty sure they did not properly prime them since if you run your fingernail against a wall or if anything scuffs up against it the paint simply just peels off. My bathroom has the worst of it since there isn't much ventilation in there and I take baths.. It got to the point where it started peeling off in giant sheets. How do I fix this? Do I need to peel all of the paint off in my home now or can it be primed and painted over? I am going to start with the bathroom first since I went to town and peeled giant chunk of latex off the walls, but is there a way that I can fix this more easily then needing to peel the rest of the paint off of the bathroom walls?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-07T19:46:24+0000  by Omgannamichelle Omgannamichelle

Here is some photos of my walls, you can see that there is possibly glue or old wallpaper also stuck on the walls behind the latex paint. Also some of the walls have bubbling which I am definitely not going to pick at until I get some advice before I make things much worse!

Posted 2017-02-07T20:02:30+0000  by Omgannamichelle
it is happening at our house after less then 3 months of paining everything.  Something is definitely wrong with this paint.
Posted 2018-06-29T02:57:14+0000  by kasstrek
You named the problem, the former owner "flipped" the house and painted over the old paint with a cheap paint which failed to bond to the old finish. I can't tell by your photos, but I would bet that the old paint, especially in the bath, have a high sheen. to which bonding is difficult.

You have no choice but to try to remove as much as the failing paint as possible. The bonding of any new paint or primer  applied is only as good as what is underneath it. It the remaining finish lets go, the new paint is coming up with it! Indeed, as the new paint dries, it my actually increase the chances of breaking that old bond. Paint/primer bonds to the old surface and then slightly shrinks as it dries, thus pulling the ill bonded paint right off the wall!

Continue scraping away at the paint until it appears sound. Try to "feather" the edges of the old paint with sandpaper. When you think it is sound, prime the whole area with a quality primer. Of the water based primers available at Home Depot, I think "Gripper" has the best adhesion. If nothing else lifts, continue on with a quality 100% acrylic paint, such as any of the Behr paints. I use Behr Ultra as my "go to" paint for most paint projects in my house.

Be aware that you may well be able to see where the old peeling paint meets the old wall as a slight ridge. Totally getting rid of these ridges may involve extensive skim coating of the walls with drywall compound. Not fun!
Posted 2018-06-29T03:47:34+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+