Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Help No power in outlets

Hello Everybody!!

So in my master bedroom, 2 light switches and 1 outlet does not appear to be working.  I have checked the breaker and nothing has been tripped.  I have turned the switch to on and off with no luck.  There are no GFI's to reset.  The only weird thing that was happening was the closet light was flickering it is a Fluorescent bulb.  I hope this is a simple fix like loose connections or what not. the house is built in 96 so its relatively new.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-06T18:00:54+0000  by Jay88887 Jay88887

Hi Jay8887,

A flickering florescent lamp often indicates low voltage, turn off the breaker, use a tester to check to make sure
there is no power, then open the outlet and switches and look at the connections.

May homes built in the late 90's used receptacles and switches with push in connections, these made very poor contact with the wires and carbon buildup reduced the contact area even more, causing drops in voltage.

Replace the outlet and switches with the style that have screw type connections, these have a much larger contact area and permit full voltage to travel through the circuit.

If the problem persists replace the breaker, breakers have a finite life and if this breaker is the original installed in the late 90's it may be defective.

If these changes do not solve the problem, you will need to have an electrician look at the circuit.

Mike
Posted 2015-07-06T19:12:21+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
I would agree with Mike, there is probably a loose connection somewhere because most houses have more than a couple of lights and one receptacle on a circuit.  If you haven't, it's a good idea to turn the circuit breaker off and then back on.  Some can trip without necessarily giving the appearance of being tripped.  If your house was older, I might suspect a GFCI but it might not be a bad idea to to check them anyway.  Even ones that seem like they would have nothing to do with the room in question.

If you want to troubleshoot and repair yourself, we can give you some tips for doing that.  Just let us know.  Otherwise, hire a licensed electrician.
Posted 2015-07-07T08:59:25+0000  by Adam444
Both Mike and Adam have given you great advice Jay88887!

In my opinion, the best advice is to test and reset all of your interrupter circuits ... particularly those found in adjacent rooms or on the floor above or below this room.

While that seems unusual, I have repeatedly seen these safety devices connected rooms away.

FINALLY
When all else fails, hire a dependable electrician.
Posted 2015-07-07T16:37:58+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Thanks for the advice. Ill try out the sugguestions that was provided and check back this weekend. 
Posted 2015-07-09T22:08:47+0000  by Jay88887

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+