Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Help! Painted Latex over Oil

Hi... I can file this one under "lessons learned". I hired a low-cost painter to repaint my living room. The room looked fine after he left but the paint started peeling shortly after. Every time the walls are bumped, the paint peels off. I have kids and dogs so they have been bumped A LOT. I'd appreciate the advice of the experts at Home Depot to tell me what to do next. We're hoping there is a product that can adhere the paint, but short of that we'll need to strip the paint and start over. Time and money are tight so I'm hoping there is another option. By the way, the contractor is no where to be found... What a surprise. Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-20T18:18:37+0000  by BAHappyFace BAHappyFace

BAHappyFace,

You definitely have a problem of bad adhesion. Unfortunately, any new paint you put over it will only be as well adhered as the poorly adhered coat you are going over. To this extent, I would try to remove as much of the peeling paint as possible by scraping or sanding. I would try using  a plastic scraper. You might also  try a sample piece of Formica such as are given out at Home Depot as counter top samples. These have a sharp edge, yet are soft enough to not gouge the wall.

You state that the paint which was covered was oil paint. i am assuming that it was also on the glossy side. This is why it is peeling. It is the slickness of the oil paint which should  give you a fare chance of being able to scrap most of the paint off.

One other thing you might try is to heat the area just ahead of your scraper with a hair dryer or heat gun. The rapid heating of the latex paint might break what litlle bond exists between it and the oil paint. Oil paint is much harder and brittle than latex paint. It expands less than latex paint. The hope is that the rapdly expanding latex paint will break away from the non-expanding oil paint. oil paint.

After the peeling paint is removed as best as possible, you should scuff sand the underlying oil paint to lessen its slickness. You can then prime the walls with a dedicated acrylic primer such as the Gripper from Glidden or Behr's Enamel Undercoater No.75. Both of these have very good adhesion. Finally, you can paint a finish coat of your choice. My personal preference would be for Behr's Ultra in a flat or eggshell finish. Ultra's full bodied coat and a low sheen should help mask any remnants of the old paint which might remain.

Posted 2012-03-21T06:12:46+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+