Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Help finishing this desk

I bought two drawers sets and a plain white table top to give me more storage in my creative space for scrapbooking and homework, as well. The drawers and the table top were both from Ikea, I didn't make them. Don't judge me.


My problem is that the chair that I bought to go with the space sits very low. And I need to build a pull out "drawer" to put my mouse and keyboard on. I don't even know where to begin. I sort of have an idea. But I want to be able to build it the right way so I don't have to redo it. (Or worse yet, ask a guy to do it for me.)


Any bright ideas are welcome! Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-19T03:16:39+0000  by missbeckman missbeckman

Greetings Miss Beckman,


My name is Tom, known here in the community as HD 116 and I have wonderful news for you.  ( And better yet, you will not need to ask a man to do it for you) :smileywink: The solution is as close as your local Home Depot and is typically found in the hardware department with the cabinet hardware.


It is called an adjustable keyboard slide. You will find it mounts under the desktop, is adjustable to 3 different settings from just over 2 inches to about 3 1/4 inches, and has a 16 inch depth. A 3/4" piece of wood that is cut to the desired size to accommodate the keyboard and mouse is attached to the slide. I found a tutorial for a different product that is very similar to the one we carry in our stores that will walk you through the process. It can be found here:


The store SKU for the slide is 465-830, and it is available on-line also it is Internet # 100155417. It is pictured below:


keyboard slide.jpg

We here are happy to help and please let me know if you have any further questions. (And we would love to see a picture of the finished product) Thanks for joining our community and enjoy your new workspace!

Posted 2011-05-19T12:15:55+0000  by HD116
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question