Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Help hanging drywall in angled stairway

My husband and I are drywalling our stairway and need some help on laying out the drywall. We need to drywall on top of the existing stairway skirt (it is pretty thick and continues below the stairs. The only way to pull it out is to tear out the stairs) so the wall is angled on top and bottom. I've attached a picture of what it looks like so you can see. 

We're just not sure how to lay out the drywall. Should we do the sections vertically or horizontally? Should they be laid out on an angle so they are resting on the skirt board (which will mean the first and last pieces are cut to match the top and bottom angle)? Should they be laid horizontally and level so they meet the studs?

I'm thinking they need laid out like this:

stairs2.jpg

Where all the pieces start and end on studs and the triangle pieces are filled in but I'm not sure.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated since this one has me stumped. I've tried to Google it without much luck.

Thanks so much!

vonatah

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-21T18:23:54+0000  by vonatah vonatah

Hi Vonatah,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.

You have the right idea for your pattern.  Once the large pieces have been set, it is then just a matter of measuring and cutting all the little triangular pieces.  That part is a little tedious but it has to be done.  Just make sure that you anchor your pieces to the studs.  

Using a horizontal pattern as you have set up is a great way to install your drywall.  Having horizontal lines will make it easier to tape and float the seams.  Just make sure that there are sufficient anchor spots to secure the drywall to.  If not, you may need to add some extra pieces to the current frame.

Be sure to take some pictures of your project as it progresses and share them with the rest of the community in our Project Library.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2014-01-10T19:21:55+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+