Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Help my lawn

I recently brought a house in Charlotte,NC.  The lawn is horrible front and back, please suggest ways, I can DYI this project.  Thanks.  I am new to law care and took this picture on Jan. 19, 2013.

Please answer ASAP.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-19T17:38:21+0000  by samandrose samandrose

Hey samandrose.

I am sorry, your picture did not come through. The community has been acting weird with pictures. We have been having to copying images and pasting them onto our posts for the last few weeks. 

I live in Atlanta, just down the road from you. If you have Bermuda grass like so many of us here in zone 7 and 8 then you will need to throw down your pre-emergent weed preventer on February 15th to prevent your warm season weeds from coming up this spring. If you have weeds right now, don't worry about them as it is too cold to kill weeds and they are cool season weeds that will die off once it warms up.

With Bermuda grass, you will need to "scalp" the yard around the beginning of March, meaning cutting the dormant grass very short and bagging it up. This will remove the thatch, which can cause fungus in the lawn. Once your lawn starts to green up, you can fertilize it with a weed and feed fertilizer to kill any remaining weeds that you might have.

If you have a Fescue lawn and it needs overseeding then you do not need to put down the Pre-emergent or a weed killer. March is a great time to overseed your Fescue. 

Hit me back with some more details of your lawn and you can send your lawn pictures to my email since the community is misbehaving. My email is ingar_e_nygren@homedepot.com Just send me some pictures and I will tell you everything that we need to do to have the best looking lawn around.

Posted 2013-01-20T14:28:07+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Here are pictures also how do I get rid of anthills.  I want to plant some large brush for privacy.  Any suggestion is welcome

Posted 2013-01-21T19:17:42+0000  by samandrose

Green gaint, I sent pictures to theemail address you provided.

Posted 2013-01-24T16:06:28+0000  by samandrose

Hey samandrose.

Sorry for the delay, I do this on Sunday and Thursday and work in the store the other days. So you will have the best results with your lawn, if you put down Fescue grass seed. Late winter (late March) is a good time to throw down your Fescue seed. I prefer to use the Rebel Fescue Blend, as it has a finer blade and is less prone to disease than some other Fescue seeds. 

Core aeration is recommended before you put down your seed, as this will soften the soil so water can absorb deeper and roots can grow deeper and stronger. Once you have core aerated and put down your seed, you will want to put down a starter fertilizer immediately afterwards.

(If you do not have a core aerator then you could rent one in Home Depots Tool rental Dept.)

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100014567/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=turf+builder&storeId=10051#.UQF67R37I7E

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202524414/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=rebel+fescue&storeId=10051#.UQF7Wh37I7E

Do you live in a higher altitude, like in the mountains? I thought I saw a Fir or Spruce tree in the background of your picture!

If you want something tall to create some privacy, you could use Leyland Cypress which are so popular due to their very fast growth. If you are looking for something a little different then there are many other options. Japanese Cryptomeria, Deodara Cedar, Green Giant Arborvitae, Arizona Cypress or Carolina Cherry Laurel are just a few others.

If these ant mounds that you have are large mounds then they are Fire Ants. You will need to swing by your Home Depot store and pick up some Fire Ant Killer. I use the Ortho Orthene Fire Ant Killer and I have great results.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100056182/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=orthene&storeId=10051#.UQF7ih37I7E

Hit me back here with more details or any other questions that you might have.

Posted 2013-01-24T18:24:36+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hi GG,thanks for replying.  So at this point I am not following the instructions for Bermuda grass, I should follow the instructions below.    Orshould I follow the instruction for both as I donotknw what grass was planted before.  I need to get rid of the clovaRs also.  Thank you for your help.

Posted 2013-01-24T21:47:01+0000  by samandrose

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+