Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Help select correct Conduit size

I will be running 8-3 UF through approx. 50' of conduit.

I want to use the liquid tight flexible conduit.... What size conduit should I use?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-28T21:59:50+0000  by Slash Slash

Hey Slash.

A 3/4 inch liquid tight is as big as we carry in the stores. You would have a really hard time getting a 8-3 UF in that small of a conduit. You would need it to be at least 1 inch.

Posted 2016-01-28T22:22:42+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hi Slash, Ingar is right as 3/4" is what we stock in the store. You can order larger sizes of liquidtite and all your connections at Homedepot.com.

Posted 2016-01-28T22:46:20+0000  by Ken_HD_OC
Why are you running UF-B through Liquidtight?  If you're looking for physical protection, then use metal or PVC conduit.   Otherwise, Liquidtight is usually limited to short runs, 6' or less.

If you're wiring a pool or spa, you can't use UF-B outside the house.  There MUST be an insulated ground.  If that is the case, then it would be a really good idea to get an licensed electrician who is very familiar with NEC Article 680.

If you're wiring a sub-panel in a detached structure, then don't forget about grounding requirements.

And make sure you're pulling permits and having the work inspected.
Posted 2016-01-29T13:29:21+0000  by Adam444
Hey Slash.  Welcome to the Community!

With your mention of a 50 foot run, as well as wanting to use underground feed cable, I suspect this will be an outdoor project.  When you pull a permit for this work, talk to your local building inspector about their specific requirements.  Often they will have copies outlining requirements for common electrical projects, among other things.  Local codes do vary in terms of how deep power feeds must be buried and protected, as well as what the acceptable conduit type, size or just cable that is required.  If you do the work based on what the person inspecting the final product is looking for, life gets a lot easier.

Chris.

Posted 2016-01-29T19:36:40+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+