Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Help with Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations

I have been working on my kitchen for weeks now.  I finally finished the glazing process and I am very frustrated.  I love the way the doors turned out (I'm using the Pure White) but the cabinets look almost gray and dirty.  I spent a lot of time deglossing and even lightly sanding because I really don't want to have to redo everything.  I had to put on three coats of the bonding because; 1. I have oak veneer cabinets with a deep grain, and 2. I could still see the wood putty used to fill the holes.

I want the cabinets to be close to white in color with the wood grain showing.  As I said earlier, I love the way the doors and drawers came out.  But how to I fix the cabinets.  I did small sections so I would not have a problem with the glaze drying before I could get it off.  When removing the glaze I noticed some of the bonding was coming off too. 

I would like any suggestion you may have to correct the problem.  Am I going to need to put another bonding coat on the cabinets and start over?  Is it possible to "whitewash" with the bonding over the glaze to make the cabinets look cleaner and brighter?  Any help would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-20T05:24:04+0000  by NancyL18 NancyL18

It's A Great Day In The Paint Department Nancy!

And, thanks for joining us on The Community!

When you describe your process, you mention that the some of the bonding coat was coming off when you remove the glaze. Based upon this feedback, I would have to conclude that the layers of bonding coat did not have enough time to cure between coats.

If you continue adding layers, your surface will likely look "muddy" when the products blend together.

What I would suggest includes: 1) allowing the surface to dry completely, 2) buffing the surface with a 220-grit sandpaper to remove the damaged appearance, 3) recoating the surface with a fresh bonding coat, and 4) allowing the layer to completely dry before you proceed with the glaze.

In the kit, there is a DVD. I would pull that back out and review the "bond coat dry time" and "glazing" instructions before proceeding.

As an addition to the manufacturer's instruction, I am adding a video I shot for another member of The Community. Since you want your cabinets to be almost white, pay particular attention when I discuss how to apply thin coats of glaze to add only a hint of color. Also, you'll want to note that wiping your glaze off in a really short time will leave only a wisp of color.

Backing up on a project is never fun, but in your current situation that is very likely the simplest way you'll return your cabinets to the color you want. So, go ahead ... lightly sand and recoat with the bonding layer, allow it to dry and then apply a very light coat of glaze; wiping off the glaze in a much shorter time.

You should get that "close to white" look you seek.

Posted 2011-12-20T13:17:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+