Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Help with Ryobi 10" Table Saw with portable stand

I bought a 10" Ryobi table saw with portable stand and when i start it up it has a very hard start it scares me to turn it on. It tries to get up to full speed right away instead of gradually speeding up, and it jumps when it is started, Is it a part or is it just how the saw is?

Thanks in advance!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-05T04:27:47+0000  by Joey0517 Joey0517

I haven't used that kind of saw in a long time but they are all basically circular saw mounted to the underside of a table.  They're pretty much going to come right up to full speed but I would think the mass of the saw/table would keep it stationary (or reasonably so). 

Once it's up and running is there any noise that give you pause?  Have you tried cutting anything with it yet?
Posted 2016-12-05T09:42:59+0000  by Adam444

Hey Joey0517,

Our workshop here has a 10" Ryobi Table Saw that we use pretty frequently, as shown below.

From personal experience, it took me a while to get the hang of the motor starting quickly. While I'm not sure if you have the same table saw as we do here, it does startle you if you've never used a saw like this.

Just like any power tool you use in life, always know the safety functions and get to familiarize yourself with its features. That's why I did from direct personal experience. After making a few cuts on it, you'll see that it is indeed 'just how the saw is' as you stated. 

My advice is to cut slowly and gain experience from making as many cuts as possible. It is a handy small table saw for what it will do; the loud/quick start from the motor is just how the saw works. Not much you can really do beyond either living with it (as I have done over time), or upgrade to a higher quality table saw.

From my experiences, after a while, time and making the cuts after starting up the saw gave me the confidence I needed without having to worry about the motor beginning to move and make that noise.

Do this, and you'll have a small table saw that can do just about any wood project you'll encounter...I say this because I'm using most likely the same exact version you are using.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-12-05T14:58:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Adam444 there is no noise while running and it cuts very well.

Joseph_HD_ATL I have used tools like this before but usually they gradually gain speed.

Posted 2016-12-05T19:40:15+0000  by Joey0517

Hey again Joey0517,

Yep, some motor's in tools will gradually increase speed within a second or two versus this one. As I stated earlier, this particular version just starts up instantly like that. We've had this version of Ryobi's 10" table saw in the shop for over a year now, and it works great for basic cuts. 

As long as you are safely cutting, you shouldn't experience any issues from it....I haven't from ours we have here.

Thanks again for stopping by the community. 

Posted 2016-12-05T20:02:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+