Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Help with carpet over asbestos tile in basement

Hoping someone can help me with a plan on how to deal with a situation I have.

I'm finishing my basement and ordered carpet for 2 rooms from Home Depot. When they came out and measured, they noticed I had 9x9 tiles which could contain asbestos. I went back to the store and before placing my order, discussed this with the associate in flooring. He told me I could paint over the tile with DryLok to "seal it in" and that would be sufficient for them to perform the install and I may just have to sign a waiver. I questioned this and he called them to confirm this was okay and then I placed the order. I prepped the floor for installation by placing vinyl tiles where any of the 9x9s were missing and painted the entire floor with DryLok (purchased at HD).

My installation was scheduled for this afternoon and the installers refused to install. I called Home Depot and spoke to another associate who called the installer and both agree that they can't install the carpet.

In the time between placing the order and having the installer come out, I've installed vinyl plank flooring in an adjacent room. If I were to cancel the carpet and use vinyl plank in the room where carpet was planned, I would have to tear up everything I had done past the threshold.

I understand the situation with the asbestos but I am irate because I was assured multiple times by Home Depot that his could be done. We addressed this specifically before ordering anything and were assured multiple times. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-14T22:59:13+0000  by jimdcxc jimdcxc

Frankly I don't understand the whole "sealing" the floor with paint as a means of asbestos containment.  Half the world would be doing that if it was an acceptable method.  Have you talked to the manager of the store where you purchased the carpet?  If so, what was his/her suggestion for resolving this issue?  Not, that's the place to start.

Frankly you could probably find a bunch of qualified carpet installers in your area that wouldn't be too worried about that tile.
Posted 2017-02-15T13:03:52+0000  by Adam444
I didn't buy the whole "sealing" the floor with paint method either, however I was willing to do it if it meant they would install the carpet. I finally spoke to the salesperson at Home Depot who told me this would work and he admitted he did not confirm this with the installer, but rather an assistant manager at the store...

They are now saying I can either have the tile tested or possibly install vinyl over the tile before they install carpet. They are supposed to be confirming with the installer that the vinyl will be an acceptable method. At this point I've already paid for the carpet which is supposed to include installation so we'll see what they come back with. If they want to cover the cost of the vinyl I'd be willing to go that route but I'm not holding my breath and will probably have to cancel the order and find another local installer.
Posted 2017-02-15T22:34:43+0000  by jimdcxc

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+