Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Help with screen door installation

We installed vinyl screen doors this weekend and the vinyl door was actually thicker than the door facing. How can we make these doors open and close correctly with that difference?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-05T23:13:58+0000  by hayescat hayescat

Hello hayescat and welcome to the Community.

Some storm doors require a deeper set back than your door trim may provide.  By setback, I am referring to the Dimension B as seen in the diagram below.

The above diagram is for an Emco Forever Vinyl storm door.

The Emco Forever door requires 1” for Dimension B or setback, where other models of storm doors require only ¾” for that (B) dimension.  If this is where you indicated that the door is thicker than the door facing or setback, there are a couple of ways to fix that. 

First - you will need to remove the storm door and frame.

Second - you can build out the door facing by adding a shim material like a ¼” thick screen moulding or ½” thick door stop.  Then re-install the door.

1/4" thick screen moulding                                     1/2" thick door stop

Another option would be to remove the existing door trim and replace it with new Brick mold that has a “B” dimension of 1” or more, which would be sufficient for the installation of a Forever door.

Brick mold

Third -  re-install the storm door.

Once installed use exterior paint and caulk to prevent moisture from penetrating  the newly installed wood.

Here are the complete installation instructions for a Forever door.

If I am not understanding exactly what you trouble is, please explain exactly what is happening so I can change my advice.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-10-06T15:57:04+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Hi hayescat,

You mention "vinyl screen door" but you don't indicate which model. Most if not all storm doors should be mounted to exterior brickmould, as pictured in Char's above post. This brickmould has a specific dimension and profile that allow storm doors to be mounted. If you don't have this type of moulding on the exterior of your door where your "vinyl screen door" is installed, then could be the reason for the thickness difference. We also carry storm doors or better called screen doors, that have no glass, just a frame made from either wood or vinyl with insect screen, which sounds like what you have.

Please provide make and model, SKU, some more detail on your door if you need additional help.

Posted 2016-10-13T15:13:59+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

There are many types of doors that are available in the market. Vinyl doors are good for storm, but you can also try impact doors south florida which provide installation of door services. Their experts help you with every minor problems you have. The length and type of door should be chosen according to the size of your home door frame by taking careful measurements doors can be easily available.
Posted 2016-10-22T12:06:18+0000  by JohnMcNally

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+