Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Here Kilz Goes Again w/ Stainblocking Ceiling Paint!!!

Hello DIYers and Contractors,

Here Kilz goes again with another new product in the Paint Department.

I’m PatInPaint and I have just reviewed a coming addition to The Home Depot’s lineup of quality paints … Kilz Stainblocking Ceiling Paint.

It contains zero volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and is a "Stainblocking Paint and Primer" specifically formulated for ceilings ... and it should start showing up in your stores this spring.

KILZ Ceiling Paint can be used on ceilings with water stains, eliminating the need for the traditional oil primer followed by a water-based ceiling paint.

In addition, the product comes in a flat white, is spatter resistant, dries to a mildew-resistant finish, and is water cleanup.

Kilz, one of the most recognized brands in the world, will be offering more new products for Pros and DIYers this spring, so check back here for their coming announcement.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-15T16:29:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Would this stuff prevent any potential flashing?  I've spot primed some stains and would like to  just go over the whole ceilng with this stuff, rather than priming the whole ceiling and then painting it. 

Thanks

Posted 2013-02-01T02:18:42+0000  by Magwheelz

Hi there Magwheelz,

It can, but that's given that you allow it to cure for the proper ammount of time. Most water-based stain blocker primers take around 24 hours to truly cure, which is when their stain-blocking is at it's peak. That being said, I would give your first coat adequate cure time and then apply your second coating afterwards, which remove any chance of bleed through. 

If your stains are heavy or are nicotine stains, then you will want to use an oil-based primer instead. These will always be the optimal choice for stain-blocking. Zinsser Cover Stain is a great example of one such product that will work very well for you in that instance. 

Posted 2013-02-01T15:31:06+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Magwheelz,

The oil and shellac based primers are super sealers, especially shellac.. One coat of finish coat over them risks a little "flashing". A true "ceiling white" is less likely to show flashing due to its very flat finish. Conventional paints, having more sheen,  used on the ceiling are more likely to flash.

To counter flashing, I would first roll a light coat on the spot primed areas with the intended finish coat paint and allow it to dry. This would be followed with the general coating of the whole ceiling.

Hope this is of help.

Posted 2013-02-11T19:19:17+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+