Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

High gloss paint hvlp sprayer?

I just bought some Behr interior/exterior hi gloss paint to paint my crown moulding, trim, doors and baseboards. My question is I have a wagner hvlp sprayer can the paint be used in a sprayer and if so what is the ratio of paint to thinner, conditioner like floetrol, wagner, or water. I have two cups the 32oz and the 48 oz cups?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-19T01:15:56+0000  by Jaisolo Jaisolo

Jaisolo,

The Wagner HVLP will have difficulty spraying a full bodied acrylic paint. Behr paint can be thinned with up to 8oz of water per gallon. I doubt this will significantly lower the viscosity to give a good spray. Floetrol does not significantly lower viscosity. It improves a paints leveling by increasing its wet time, but will not increase the quality of the spray through lowering viscosity..

You would be better served by a true airless sprayer utilizing a fine tip, probably a 313. This will give you a 6 inch wide spray pattern and a fine spray. An airless can be rented at the local Home Depot store that has a rental center. Or, the small Graco unit is now available for sale at a new lower price of $269. This is a quality unit which will serve the average homeowner well. I would suggest you go to WWW.homedepot.com and look up the reviews for this product.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-02-19T06:18:35+0000  by ordjen

Welcome to The Community Jaisolo!

If your baseboards, trim, doors, etc. are installed, your set-up time and expense may be greater than the benefit of spraying.

If, on the other hand, you are renovating a home and will be replacing flooring, repainting walls and ceilings, etc. then you may actually gain time by not having too much set up.

Either way, your current HVLP sprayer (most likely Wagner Control Spray) is not very well suited for the thicker product made by Behr.

I own this tool and have sprayed both primer and trim-paint.

I found the process to be very tedious ... constantly plugging the tip and having to stop for cleaning.

Even after thinning one cup of water per gallon and adjusting the tip, these viscous products would spray only for a few minutes before plugging.

When spraying much thinner oil-based products, I was able to get much better results with this tool.

THINNING THOUGHTS:

Floetrol doesn't actually thin paint ... in fact, it maintains the viscosity to help slow down the drying time and allow brush and roller marks to self-level.

When thinning, look at the "Clean Up" line on the label. If the product says, "Clean up with water," then your thinner should be water. If this line says, "Clean up with mineral spirits," your thinner should be mineral spirits.

The "One cup per gallon" rule generally applies to most coating. Most often, instructions for thinning are on the label, but when in doubt call the manufacturer.

FINALLY:

Most often I spray oil products with a compressor-driven HVLP gravity-feed gun.

When spraying water products I use my Graco with a smaller fan and a smaller opening; something like a .209. This tip gives me a smaller four-inch fan (closer to the size of trim) and the opening doesn't allow bulk spraying (which can lead to runny results).

Look into the more adjustable Graco sprayers for your project ... and shop carefully for a smaller tip. Expect to spray two coats and wait about six-hours between.

I always use Floetrol for the smoothest results possible with water-based trim paint.

Posted 2013-02-19T13:35:53+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I would concur with PatinPaints' advice.

I had good luck spraying oil through my HVLP, but then I had a professional unit costing several hundred dollars. Even with the oil, thinning was neccessary.

I would also agree that sometimes sprayng does not lend itself to the situation. In an occupied home, the extensive preparation for spraying makes it questionable whether it is worth the effort. Remember, when spraying, you must assume that EVERYTHING can be potentially  hit with the spray or over spray and must be protected from it. Of course, such things as doors can be removed to a remote area for spraying and may well be worth the savings.

Once again, I always encourage customers to read the customer product reviews on the Home Depot website. They are brutally honest at times. It is obvious that HD is not editing the bad reviews!

Posted 2013-02-19T16:37:41+0000  by ordjen

I thank you all for the advice, I did not want to write a dissertation but yes my home is occupied. I have a lot of room to cover I have 13 doors alone upstairs probably another 10 downstairs, countless trim, baseboards so I am trying to see the best way to approach it with the best results without having to pay a professional?

Posted 2013-02-20T18:40:39+0000  by Jaisolo

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+