Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

House fire repair

We had a house fire about a year ago and the house has been boarded up since. This week we are gutting house entirely down to the studs. What do I use to clean then seal the remaining studs and structure that isn't being replaced? I need something that will take care of smoke smell and I am worried about mold growth as well...

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-23T17:56:07+0000  by MichelleS MichelleS

Hi MichelleS,


I'm sorry to hear about your house fire, but I'm glad to see that you're going forward with the repair.


We have several odor eliminator products available at The Home Depot from brands such as Odoban and  Zep that will handle the toughest cleaning and odor control challenges.


128 oz. Concentrated Lavender Disinfectant Laundry and Air Frehener128 oz. Fresh Odor Control Concentrate128 oz. Air and Fabric Odor EliminatorTruAir Room Odor Eliminator


Zep offers their Smoke Odor Eliminator aerosol spray that eliminates smoke odors from surfaces as well as from the air. It is specifically formulated to be effective on smoke odor, but will stop other tough odors as well.


ZEP 19 oz. Smoke Eliminator (Case of 12)



As far as mold is concerned, now is the best time to act. Apply a mold inhibitor to the wall studs and all surfaces that will be inaccessible after you replace the dry wall. The Concrobium Mold Control Fogger is available to rent at all Home Depot Tool Rental Centers.


Concrobium 1 Gal. Mold Control Fogger


The Concrobium Mold Control fogger is a great way to apply Concrobium Mold Control in large or inaccessible indoor areas, in order to treat widespread mold issues or combat musty odors. This will treat and prevent mold and mildew growth.


Keep us posted with your progress. I hope you get back in the house soon!


Thanks for asking and Welcome to The Community!!!




Posted 2013-09-24T13:47:21+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question