Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

How Long for Pressure to Build?

Hi,

Bought a Porter Cable 6 150 psi pancake compressor that doesn't seem to be building pressure. How long does it usually take for a new compressor to build pressure? I let it run with regulator pressure to zero for about 20 minutes. Isn't it supposed to show pressure building on gauge and shut off before that amount of time? Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-28T17:14:38+0000  by Spiral7 Spiral7

Hello Spiral7,

Welcome to the community.

I have that same compressor and I love it. I’ve had it for over 10 years and it’s still running strong.

Here are a couple of things to check when a tank will not hold pressure.

If you are getting air into the tank then you may have a leak somewhere or the drain valve (FIG.3) might not be closed all the way. You may not be able to hear the leak with the motor running.

After you turn it on and let it run for a few minutes does the tank have air in it or not? If not then it may have a bad check valve (FIG.4) that isn’t letting the air into the tank.

Porter Cable Valves.jpg

I’m sure you’ve already tried everything else so if after you have double checked the drain valve and it still won’t hold pressure just bring it into your local Home Depot Tool Rental Center and they can look at it to figure out what the issue is. They may be able to fix it right there and if not they will be able to order the parts to fix it.

Make sure and come back to the community to let us all know what the issue was so if it happens to us we will know what to look for.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-11-28T20:08:23+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
I just had the same issue and the answer to this question solved it.  The drain valve was not tight and the air was getting out of the tank.  Once I tightened it, the pressure built up right away.  3 years later the answer is still a good one!  Thanks!
Posted 2015-08-30T01:57:29+0000  by TLK1230
Great catch TLK1230!

When a compressor draws air into the tank, it also draws moisture which is in the air.

The pressure release valve is typically on the bottom of the tank and when opened, the moisture escapes and prevents the tank from rusting inside.

When the sound of air escaping stops, simple close the valve ... finger tight only!

NOTE:
Because moisture can get into the tank, it can also get out ... in the form of dark gray droplets, usually right onto your work.

An air compressor outlet filter eliminates particles, including moisture, that exit the tank in the stream of air.

Like the tank, you should drain the filter after every compressor session.

Posted 2015-09-01T14:25:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+