Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How-To Build a Broadway Style Make-Up Table

I was wondering if anyone could give me easy instructions on how to build a lighted mirror makeup table (like the ones on broadway).  It doesn't have to be very big but I want it to have 4 or 5 studio light bulbs on both sides, a mirror that is pretty average size, a little bit of counter space, and one or two shelves underneath.  

I do not know a lot about building so this is a first for me.  If someone could just give me detailed instructions on what to buy and how to do it.  It would be perfect if the pieces where already cut to size and I just had to put them together.  I would like to avoid anything with jigsaw or spinning blade in the name.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-07T16:41:31+0000  by mojademiles mojademiles

Hi there mojademiles. I'm ChrisFixit, and ChristineClaret asked me to throw in a few more ideas. 

Keeping things simple on your first building project is a great way to learn and build confidence, but like the best Broadway set designs, simple doesn't have to mean boring :robotwink:.

simple.jpg

With some imagination and the right accessories even a simple build can turn into something spectacular. After doing some Googling most tables are essentially three parts a mirror, full lighting, and table. The ones that struck me were those that gave a hint at the personality of the person using it. Somer were quite fancy and some were more functional with lots of storage.

functional.jpg

Others might lean toward trying to inspire a classic Broadway/Hollywood feel. If you or a friend are good with a computer or arts and crafts why not make up some inspiring movie posters with you as the star.

fun.jpg

Storage solutions can be something you design and make. An even simpler solution is to buy pre-built shelves (maybe give them a paint treatment you like) and arrange them in a way that works for you. Accessories are where projects really tend to shine so feel free to go crazy with them, then roll things back to get the look you want.

Google searching "Broadway make-up table" or "Hollywood make-up table" will get you a ton of references to look at for inspiration. I hope this has been helpful and keep us updated on your project, I'm sure you're going love it! 

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-05-08T15:55:31+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Thank you so much!

Posted 2011-05-07T20:01:00+0000  by mojademiles

Welcome to our community mojademiles, 

This is Christine from The Home Depot in Atlanta. I think vanities are a necessity for everyone’s room. Building your own will make you feel quite accomplished, and will save you a lot of money.  Just make sure you have the time and the patience what it takes to build a piece of furniture. It will be worth it in the end. :smileyhappy:

Let’s start with the table.

HD116 did a post a little while back about how to make a table. Click here for the link.

Typically a small vanity table measures 18” deep and 30” wide. You can have the wood for the table top cut at your local Home Depot.

Now on to the Broadway style mirror. At The Home Depot we sell Broadway style lights that come in a row of four.

They look like this:

broadway lights.jpg

I would suggest buying a simple mirror the size that you desire and putting the lights vertically on both sides of the mirror. Please consult with a certified electrician to install these lights.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Christine 

Posted 2011-05-07T18:44:34+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+