Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How To Build a Freestanding Wall

I need to build a freestanding wall out of plywood or particle board and I'm not sure where to start. It's going to be outdoors, so it will be suseptable to rain and wind and such. It needs to be sturdy enough to not blow over. I'm not sure what thinkness of plywood/particle board I should use, or the proper way to construct this so that it would be stable enough not to fall over either direction. Originally it was meant to be 8' x 42', but I'm actually thinking more along the lines  of 8' x 20' or 8' x 32'. 

Anyone know a good way to go about this?



Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-18T23:53:29+0000  by jennistarr jennistarr

Hello jennistarr.  Welcome to the Community!


Well, first off I can say that particle board is completely unsuitable for outdoor conditions.  It will soak up water and disintegrate very quickly.  Pressure treated plywood is a possibility though.


Rather than thinking in terms of wall construction, how about looking at this project as a free standing fence?


Instead of burying posts into the ground, attach them at the middle of 4x4 pressure treated timbers 8' long set on the ground perpendicular to the wall using post mounts.  The 8' vertical posts would then support 2 sheets of plywood running to the next set of upside down "T" posts.  Use deck screws to attach the plywood.  The 4' legs on both sides should prevent tip-overs.


This wall would be heavy and hard to move, but is possible to build.


Anyone else have any thoughts on this?





Posted 2012-07-20T17:25:23+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Hello jennistarr.


I'm with Newf on this one.


Except, you probably want to consider building this 6’ feet high or under. Most building and fire codes do not permit fenced or freestanding wall structures that are higher than 6'.It is for a simple reason that an 8' fence it’s a lot harder to jump over than a 6' foot one in a God forbid event of fire.


You may want to consult with your local building department prior to construction on that one.


Hope this helps,



Posted 2012-07-24T20:31:07+0000  by George_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question