Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

How To Install Envirotiles

Hello everyone!

I’m here today to demonstrate how to create/update a small outdoor space using envirotile!

Since spring is fast approaching, you may want to consider using them for your next outdoor project.

If you haven’t heard the good news yet, envirotile is one of the most innovative and best products to use in areas where you want to upgrade the look of any area in and outside your home. The key to its durability is in its construction. Envirotiles are made from 100% recycled rubber tires! In fact, the manufacturer of envirotiles, Multy Home, diverts over 2.5 million tons of tires from landfills to produce their line of green products. Best of all, each 2 envirotiles purchased means 1 tire from being in a landfill!

We’ve already got some great information going over specific envirotile installation questions and concerns on the community, answered by envirotile experts Designingwoman and ChrisFixit . The thread contains more detailed information such as project estimators and specific installation questions, like adhering the tiles down. Please refer to it for any further information.

In terms of usage, the possibilities are almost endless for putting down a durable and efficient material underfoot.

Envirotiles can be installed on top of existing outdoor surfaces, on level dirt, and can even be put down in basement areas inside your home! 

In our video below, we decided to place them down in a nice spot on our rooftop garden here at the office. Please note that in this video we used the envirotile connector clips and not adhesive, but we chose this since its going directly over flat concrete. Areas that get heavy traffic like around a pool can use a rated adhesive, shown in the securing tiles in place section of this post. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the envirotile we used was Bella Rocca Earth 

How to Install Envirotiles Video

Supplies needed for project

The other important takeaway that I would like to share with you in this post is that envirotiles are available in stair treads, stepping stones, and edging for the regular tiles. Our how-to guide for this post and video will go over standard 18” x 18” envirotiles. Putting them down will depend on if the surface is level (within 1 inch) over either a hard surface or soil/natural surface. In this how-to guide, I’ll first go over laying them out over an existing concrete surface, followed by installation instructions over soil. Let’s get started first with a basic supplies list you’ll need to install envirotiles over any surface.

• Envirotiles
  • Mallet
  • Silicone rubber adhesive OR envirotile clips
  • Straight edge
  • Measuring tape
  • Utility knife and/or jigsaw
  • Good set of knee pads
  • Chalk or marker
  • Shovel (if installing in soil)
  • Tamper (if installing in soil)

Envirotile™ Installation over Existing Flat Surfaces

As the video shows, we decided to put down our envirotiles on concrete adjacent to the flower beds since it is an area of high activity and a focal point. While you may have other reasons to plan out where and how you want your envirotiles to be set, I find that planning it out beforehand works in case you run into any unforeseen problems down the road. For example, you’ll need to ensure the ground is first level, clean, and free of debris.  Also, take into consideration any curves, intrusions, or areas of the tiles that may need to be cut.  Since we are going with a simple square pattern, I decided to mark as a starting point where the tiles would be first installed.

Shown below in more detail, these illustrations should serve to show you how to put together and keep down envirotiles on a flat surface.

The clips are a very simple installation. Simply line up your tiles as shown below with the clips facing up.

Next, to ensure a tight fit, be sure to hit the connections above with a mallet.

And other than installing the edges, the project is complete! While using adhesive isn't as tedious as the clips, just remember that over time the clips can be moved and readjusted. Now that you know how to install envirotile over, lets talk about putting this tile over soil....

Envirotile™ Installation over natural ground (soil)

Putting envirotile over soil takes a little more steps than over existing hard ground surfaces, but installation can be easily done.  Follow the same layout directions as you would install outdoor concrete pavers, but you are laying out the tiles exactly as stated before.  To ensure they won’t shift, you will need to fasten the perimeter tiles with envirotile clips but you won’t need any adhesive. Anytime you are placing tiles on soil, consider proper drainage and presence of water where the tiles will be installed. Using weed blocker or landscape fabric can be placed before the tile goes down, but make sure the surface is level as possible.  If you run into soft soil or just want the soil to be thoroughly compacted, I’d recommend renting a gas-powered tamper from your local Home Depot Tool Rental.

Installation tips

• Whether you install envirotiles over an existing hard surface or soil, you’ll need to make sure you’ll have enough for the job. Just like any tile project, buy an extra 10% (or 20% if you are doing curves or diagonal shapes) to ensure you’ll have enough for the project.
  • Since it is a recycled material, some edges may not line up perfectly, which is why having a few extra tiles will help you when it comes to final installation. And as always, you can return any unused tiles to your local Home Depot after you are done with putting everything in; but keeping a few tiles for replacement is always a good idea.
  • Plan out before installation when using checkerboard or other stylized pattern designs.
  • Use the connector clips throughout the project for any resurfacing installations, but don’t use them for primary surface projects
  • Rotate tiles during install to assist you find the best fit
  • ALWAYS be safe when cutting and installing the tiles

Installing Envirotile™ edges

When you are done installing your envirotiles, consider using a border to reduce trip hazards give a finished edge to any perimeters exposed.

These borders can be found in-stock or online, and are just as easy to install as the tiles. They already come with built-in clips to ensure a secure fastening to the tiles, and are available as straight edges or corner edges. Simply lift the edges of the tiles after they are put in, and secure them in place with a mallet via the built-in clips.

Other Envirotile™ tiles

You may have other areas of your garden, backyard, or lawn that you’d like to maybe not put down tiles, but still would like to put a small pathway. With envirotile, they have you covered there as well! We also sell numerous stair treads and stepping stones to compliment your space.

So there you have it, how to install envirotiles, the most eco-friendly and easiest way to put down a surface for your outdoor areas!

I hope this information has assisted you, and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us here on the community.

aboveaveragejoe

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-12T20:49:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL Joseph_HD_ATL

I am renting a house with a great backyard. However, it doesn't have a patio. I love the idea of using the Envirotiles for this. The lawn is all grass, so I was wondering how to install over that. (I read the tutorial about installing over dirt, but wasn't sure about installing directly over grass.)  What steps would I need to take to do this? Thanks! :)

Posted 2012-05-14T23:23:22+0000  by pandia17

Hello pandia17,

Welcome to the community!

I realize you are renting (so am I :smileyvery-happy:) your house, Envirotiles would still work better if the grass in the are was removed. As I stated earlier in this thread on the install process:

"Anytime you are placing tiles on soil, consider proper drainage and presence of water where the tiles will be installed. Using weed blocker or landscape fabric can be placed before the tile goes down, but make sure the surface is level as possible."

With that said, if you put down Envirotiles directly over the lawn, but you'd honestly be creating a bigger problem versus taking out the grass. 

For starters, even if you placed the Envirotiles over the grass, it will not only create an uneven surface, it can and will kill the grass underneath it. More importantly it will give it an unsafe surface, which can create a trip hazard. Even with any grass gone, you still wouldn't have a guaranteed level surface, which is why it really is important to take the grass out and level the soil before laying a single tile down.

I could only see this working on a very temporary (less than 24 hour) basis like for a get-together, but even then, you'd have the trip hazard. 

The best thing you can do is to talk to your landlord about your situation. I don't want to dissuade you from using this great product, but it is necessary for this (as well as any other paver) project to have a level soil surface first. Talk to them and see that it can be done. Putting down sod or reseeding the area after the lease is up is a pretty simple project to do, but let your landloard know if this is feasible first.

I hope this has helped you, and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

regards,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-05-19T19:19:53+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

is this something you could install over a deck or is drainage a major consideration?

Posted 2012-06-08T20:17:34+0000  by irisherin

Questions about the Envirotiles?

Does it become hot if in the sun?

Will it fad in the sun?

How do you clean it?

Does it gather alge from dampness etc?

Will if freeze in the winter?

What if you put your grill  on it?

Posted 2012-06-08T22:30:59+0000  by fledderjohn

Hi irisherin,

You can easily install envirotiles over a deck and drainage will NOT be a consideration, the tiles are designed at the bottom to allow for water drainage, according to the manufacturer's website on envirotiles. Simply refer to my installation instructions above for hard surfaces and you'll get your envirotiles up and running!

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-06-09T17:06:31+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hi fledderjohn!

I will attempt to answer your Envirotile questions in the manner in which you asked them.

Does it become hot if in the sun?

Like any dense solid material, envirotiles can get hot in the sun. All concrete, asphalt, and the material of envirotiles: tires can and will have an increased temperature due to how long the material is in contact with the sun as well as how dark the color of the tile is. With that said, if this is going to get direct sun for more than 6 hours in a day, I'd recommend to wear shoes when walking over the surface. It's the same practice as walking over a hot driveway in the middle of the day. 

Will it fade in the sun?

According to the manufacturer's website, Envirotiles have a 5 year limited warranty. Since this is a material based off of rubber auto tires, I wouldn't see fading being a problem. We have our tiles shown in the installation video of this thread on exposed concrete with no shade for well over 3 months now, and they are still holding up great, in terms of color and wear.

How do you clean it?

Since it is a synthetic material, cleaning is a breeze. As long as you clean up any food or oil spills right away, you can occasionally spray off the tiles using a garden hose. Use the same household degreasing and cleaning agents if you encounter any spills, but don't use bleach. You'll want to keep your outdoor environment as well as your tiles safe.

Does it gather algae from dampness etc?

Since envirotiles allow for water drainage due to their design from underneath, this shouldn't be a problem you'll encounter. With that said, you'll still need to install the system as shown in the steps above the post to ensure proper drainage, and make sure your surrounding area has proper drainage to allow any water to run-off.

Will if freeze in the winter?

According to the manufacturer's website: 

"Tiles are weather and frost resistant and do not have to be removed during the winter."

What if you put your grill  on it?

Since envirotiles are thick and made from rubber, you'll see little to no changes at all from your grill being placed on top of it, or any patio furniture or weighted item for that matter.

I hope these questions have assisted you in your buying process, and I hope you've looked or will look at your local Home Depot's envirotile display so you can see if this is the right product for your outdoor space.

Cheers,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-06-09T18:02:09+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
We are about to install Envirotile on a flat concrete patio with a wall around all sides on a L-shaped surface except one end of the L. Does one need clips on all the tiles or just on the edges?
Posted 2012-06-19T00:05:30+0000  by cathythorn

Hi cathythorn!

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

As I stated in the video on this original thread, you'll only need to put the clips only around the perimeter areas and not in any tiles that aren't on the edges. To better demonstrate this, refer to the image below.

envirotile clip placement

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-06-25T15:08:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

How do you install Envirotiles over dirt?

Posted 2013-06-03T19:15:29+0000  by mosca

Hey mosca,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community!

To install Envirotiles over dirt, simply follow the first post I authored in this thread and other posts too to view how to.

Please let me know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2013-12-21T18:16:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+