Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

How To Refresh Your Hard Wood Floors

For all of you that are suffering from the winter blues, or the winter "dulls" and cabin fever, adding a bit of sparkle and shine to your home is "a must do".

I would like to recommend my favorite winter spruce up product to your great list of cleaning “solutions”.

So many of the older homes here in the Boston area have hard wood floors; and what a beating they take during the long months of winter. I can vacuum, sweep and mop but the residue from the elements can work quickly on destroying the shine and patina of our wonderful, wooden floors.

Even the best oversized welcome mats, interior door mats, carpets, and boot trays cannot stop the sand, and snow melting products from passing the threshold and ending up on, and eating the finish on the beautiful wood floors.

I am not a crazy clean fanatic, but every time someone comes through my front door during wet, winter weather….I never ask that they remove their shoes…. but as they squeak across the floor, I cringe to myself!

Years ago I discovered a hardwood floor cleaner and refresher by the Rejuvenate Company, these products are totally amazing!

The wear and tear that ice melting products, and deep cutting sand grains can do to an old floor is heartbreaking. An ounce of prevention (door mat) cannot always offer a pound of cure; but there is a great “solution” once some damage has been done!

Step1: Sweep and vacuum the areas that is showing signs of destruction, and clean with the Rejuvenate Floor Cleaner,  allow time to totally dry.

Step2: Using a micro fiber cloth apply the Rejuvenate Floor Refresher. I always apply it on my hands and knees in a small 4X4 area and then move on until the floor is completely covered, and by then usual the first spot of dry!

Step3: Stand back and enjoy the shine!

It really is just that easy, and that shiny…so if you have tired, scuffed, sad, winter worn hard wood floors…..please give the Rejuvenate products a try!  The simple, inexpensive treatment will make you and your home really shine!

Let us know what you think of the products that we have suggested for your winter refresh, and spring cleaning event!

Do you have any cleaning hints you would like to share….let us know how you add a little sparkle to your home!   Maureen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-11T16:44:59+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Great Quick Tip Maureen!

This low-odor product is particularly useful when trapped indoors during the winter.

In another thread, we discuss step-by-step instructions for a more traditional "top dressing" method and include photos:

How To Re-coat Hardwood Floors Without Damaging The Stain

The oil-based polyurethane, demonstrated in the thread, doesn't require sanding between coats ... so several coats can be applied within several hours.

A tiny bit more prep than water-based Rejuvenate; you will need to buff sand the floor with 220-grit and remove the sanding dust (How To instructions are in the thread).

But you'll create a longer lasting floor coating which is as durable as the factory finish.

And the appearance of your hardwoods will be greatly enhanced (see photo).

I top dressed the floor in the photo myself using the polyurethane below.

The natural beauty of the wood was really enhanced!

Satin, Semi-Gloss, and Gloss sheen are available in MinWax Professional Formula.

FINALLY:

As with all DIY projects, when recoating hardwoods there are several methods from which to choose.

Consider available time, budget, and desired results when selecting a method to top dress your floors.

When trapped indoors for winter, the low-odor option might be an easy choice.
Posted 2016-02-11T17:28:20+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+