Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How can I create a floating shelf for a 65 inch Mitsubishi projection TV?

I have a 65 inch projection TV that is approximately 18 inches deep. Since I cannot mount it to the wall like a flat panel TV, I thought I could build a shelf to place it on. Does anyone have any ideas how to build a shelf that is about 18-24 inches deep and can hold roughly 75 pounds?

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-23T03:06:49+0000  by rsieck rsieck

Hello rsieck ,

The only safe idea that I have here is to build some sort of stand that can support the weight of the TV.

You can use 4x4 posts for the “legs” and some 2x4 studs for the shelf support. For the platform I would use a double layer of ¾ inch plywood. Obviously this stand would have to be securely attached to the wall framing.

Here’s what I have in mind:

tvstand.jpg

I would also size the stand so that so that front (wide) side is narrower that the TV itself - in other words have 4x4s overlap the sides of the TV for about 2-3” inches. This would only allow positioning the TV going form the (narrow) side and it would prevent it from possibly tipping over.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Posted 2013-04-02T20:13:54+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+