Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

How can I dispose of leftover paint?

I have about 25 partially full paint cans from projects I've done over the years.  I am moveing and need to get rid of them.  Suggestions?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-12T13:13:00+0000  by mcburnsGA mcburnsGA

Hello mcburnsGA,

Chris is right on with the drying out the paint and then disposing it.

Here on the west coast we have a Waste Disposal drop off site so I went on a search to see if I could find one for you in GA. You’re in luck I found one. I’m not sure just how far it is from you but if it’s within driving distance they should the oil base paints.

I know the one out here has a limit on how many gallons/items you can take each drop off so make sure to look into it before you head over there. The 2 oil bases shouldn’t be an issue but I’m pretty sure that they won’t take all 25 partially full cans all at once.

Here is a link to the website that I found it on. The program is called CHaRM. It stands for The Center for Hard to Recycle Materials.

I hope this helps your move a little smoother. 

Best Answer

Posted 2016-02-12T18:05:37+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Most of the paint is latex but there is some oil based (2 cans)
Posted 2016-02-12T13:15:46+0000  by mcburnsGA
Hello mcburnsGA.  Welcome to the Community!

While empty latex paint cans can be disposed of in the garbage without cleaning them out, partial cans need to have the paint dried or hardened before disposal.  Since you have more paint than time to use it, I recommend a paint hardener designed just for what you need.

HDX Paint Hardener

For the oil based paint, it is not something you can dispose of in your household garbage, but must be taken to a hazardous waste disposal facility.

Chris.

Posted 2016-02-12T15:08:11+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Thank you!
Posted 2016-02-13T11:03:31+0000  by mcburnsGA
I would start with a call to my local refuse hauler. Even if they do not handle it, they will know to whom you can go.

Here in Oregon, there is a surcharge on all new paint sales to cover the "free" acceptance of old paint. There are scores of reception centers around the state, mostly paint dealers under contract with the State.

Posted 2016-02-15T00:50:15+0000  by ordjen
Hi mcburnsGA,

Earth911.org has a comprehensive zip code locator for everything from fluorescent light bulbs to tires.

Oil-based paint is on their list as well.

Enter earth911.org in your search engine then click "Recycle Search" at the top of the screen.

Key words are important, but their search engine uses a "similar to you search words" protocol.

Their geo-locator typically identifies your location, but you may also enter city, state, and/or zip.

Easy!

Give it a try and let us know what you think!

NOTE:
Most hazardous material disposal sites charge a fee.

Call the included site phone number for detailed instructions before transporting hazardous materials.

Pat InPaint
Posted 2016-02-16T22:49:10+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+