Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

How can I fix my painted wall that has mold? Some spots have already created air bubbles.

I really want to fix my wall in the bathroom. It's been painted. The mold looks like a blob of black paint has been applied and it looks like it seaped in. There are air bubbles that started to form and I imagine I would have to sand it down or something. I would appreciate if someone can give me (who has never done any wall repairing) a basic, step by step process of fixing this solution. - Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-14T20:02:32+0000  by Cubbies2go Cubbies2go

Hello Cubbies2go!

1) Throughout the removal process make certain you wear protective goggles, a mold-rated mask, nitrile gloves and a safety suit ... all should fit snug around your mouth, nose, and eyes, and should limit exposure of cleaning residue to your skin.

2) One product, Concrobium Mold Control, will function to clean and remediate your area.

According to the manufacturer, "Concrobium Mold Control is the all-in-one mold solution that eliminates, cleans and prevents mold. The EPA-registered solution contains no bleach and is safe and effective on any surface. Use Concrobium Mold Control to eliminate and prevent mold in areas such as basements, attics, bathrooms or on surfaces including drywall, concrete, wood, fabric, masonry, bathroom tile and many more."

MoldControl.jpg

3) With your protective gear in place, use Concrobium on a terry towel to wipe the surface and remove easily visible mold.

Use a painter's tool to peel back any paint bubbles or flaking paint until the paint is firmly attached to the wall.

Regularly wet additional towels to remove mold residue and discard towels into a sealable plastic bag or container.

4) Once satisfied that the visible mold has been removed, turn your focus to general surface cleaning.

Wipe all surfaces including ceiling, walls, floor, toilet, sink, windows and shower/tub area.

This general cleaning is more about coating the entire room with Concrobium to prevent mold from returning.

DO NOT rinse ... simply wipe until the surface appears slightly damp with Concrobium and allow to air-dry.

5) Use an oil-based primer to seal all paintable surfaces in the room.

6) Paint with a mildew-resistant water-based paint ... an eggshell or satin sheen will help protect the walls.

7) And, install and/or operate a high-efficiency exhaust fan to help remove moisture every time water is used in this bathroom.

NOTE:

Should you encounter soaked, spongy wallboard, stop cleaning and take time to remove the damage then clean and remediate the support beams inside the wall before repairing the sheetrock.

"Best Practices" would also include taping over A/C registers and returns to prevent mold from spreading throughout your home.

Cleaning and remediating with Concrobium and sealing with oil-based primer are the key steps to reclaiming this bathroom

FINALLY:

Eliminate shortcuts from your vocabulary and practices while executing this repair.

Several thorough cleanings followed by primer to seal the walls and you'll not need to revisit this repair any time soon.

An operational exhaust fan turned on every time water is used will also ensure your bathroom remains mold free for years.

Posted 2013-11-14T21:31:16+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thank you very much! I will work on this weekend.

Posted 2013-11-14T21:46:06+0000  by Cubbies2go

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+