Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Answered

How can I get rid of Chipmunks?

I have Chipmunks living and breeding year after year, they undermine my back concrete porch, how can I get rid of them, traps don't seem to work, they are very smart, they can tell after the first kill not to go near it. What are my options!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-08-01T16:48:51+0000  by DrillBabyDrill DrillBabyDrill

Hi DrillBabyDrill,

Those little chipmunks are cute when there are only a few of them. The trouble is that they breed twice a year. There numbers multiply quickly and so can their destructive abilities.

The natural predators of these critters are prohibited by our urban standards of keeping dogs and cats indoors and on leashes. Coyotes and wolves are banished from our neighborhoods for understandable reasons. Those snakes that we feel compelled to repel are actually trying to help us.

Trapping the ground dwelling squirrels is a viable option. Havahart Traps can humanely capture these pests so that they can be relocated. Peanut butter and oatmeal flakes make excellent bait for use with these traps.

Poison is an option, but poisons are not immediately effective since chipmunks store their food for consumption at a later date. Poison should not be placed where other animals could be exposed to it.

A non-poisonous method of control is to flood the burrow with water. This will also let you know how extensive the damage has become. It might require repeated flooding, but it will flush out the varmints.

After the chipmunks are removed, fill the burrow and cover the opening with welded wire or concrete to prevent other creatures from seeking shelter there.

There are no repellants listed for controlling chipmunks. Read more about chipmunk control by clicking here.

Thanks for asking,

-Travis 

Best Answer

Posted 2014-08-01T20:07:33+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
Howdy DrillBabyDrill,

Here on the west coast we have squirrel and chipmunks that seem to go "nuts" during summer here. Since poisons and some conventional methods are either not allowed or frowned upon, I'd thought I'd let you in on a farm method I learned.  What you'll need is; a 5 gallon bucket, 1 2X4 piece of lumber, and a large bag of sunflower seeds.

Start by taking a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and fill halfway with water. Next you put a 2x4 piece of wood on the corner of the bucket so it's like a plank leading up to the lip of the bucket. Finally sprinkle sunflower seeds on the 2X4 leading up to the bucket.
Finally, drop enough sunflower seeds into the bucket to show only sunflower seeds floating and hiding the water.

It's a bit sad to think these little guys will drown...but once they chew into your phone lines you'll most likely make 2 or 3 of these.
As an added measure to keep these guys from coming back, make sure to remove all bird feeders in the area.

Happy Hunting,
Coach Dave
Posted 2014-08-11T22:44:33+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Just an update to this post.  There is now a product called Critter Ridder that will repel chipmunks based on both smell and taste.  Those little critters will want to pack up and move out of any area you spray it on.

Keep in mind though, that Critter Ridder also repels birds, dogs and cats as well as many wild animals besides chipmunks.  As such you may want to consider other alternatives as listed above.

Chris.

Posted 2018-07-13T19:14:15+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+