Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

How can I improve my awning windows, they are not sealing tight (from 1974, but there are no glass seal breaks in them and no rot.)

How can I improve my awning windows, they are not sealing tight (from 1974, but there are no glass seal breaks in them and no rot.)
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-17T13:42:56+0000  by nessa nessa

Hello nessa and welcome to the Community.

There are 2 basic types of awning windows the Push-out type and the mechanical type.

The push-out type usually has a handle or handles that act as the locking mechanism.

The mechanical type has a crank that opens and closes the window (similarly to casement windows).  These windows usually have a separate locking mechanism.

I don’t know what materials were used in your windows from 1974.  Sealing capabilities can vary depending on the type of materials.

Wood has a tendency to swell under high humidity conditions and shrink when conditions are cold and dry.  After time woods can loses some of its elasticity, this can cause gaps in its sealing capabilities.

If you have mechanical windows sometimes the gears and or cranks can strip out.  If you know the manufacture of your window you might be able to get replacement parts.

One of the simple fixes is to install V type compression weather strip.  The 7/8 in. x 17 ft. Self-Adhesive V-Seal Weather-strip has a built-in hinge that allows it to compress full to fill gaps around doors and windows, sealing out drafts, dust and water. This V-seal is made to fill very narrow gaps and holds its shape for years. It is effective on both windows and doors.

Stay warm and be cool.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-05-17T17:27:49+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+