Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

How can I insulate and cover ducts in garage

Hi, we have some HVAC ducts that run along the ceiling of our garage. I assume they are feeding the rooms above them. Currently they have some really old insulation and some kind of white HVAC tape covering them. it's coming loose, it wasn't very well done (was like this when we moved in), and just looks bad. It sags down a bit and the ceiling isn't super high to begin with. What would be the best way to insulate these ducts and then cover them up so they are more aesthetically pleasing? I need it to look a lot nicer. For reference, it runs most of the width of the back of our 2 car garage.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-11-07T13:31:44+0000  by kjpayne kjpayne

Hi kjpayne,

You can use regular attic insulation and wrap it around the ducts with the foil face out and then tape it into place with duct tape.. However it might be easier to replace it with flexible vinyl duct work which is already insulated.

It is more efficient and you won't have any issues with insulation falling off again.

Mike 

Posted 2016-11-07T21:04:10+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
I would opt to re-insulate the existing ductwork. Smooth, hard sided galvanized ducting is much more efficient in airflow than the accordian type flex tubes.

For a cleaner appearance, the entire duct work can be boxed in with wood framing and insulated.
Posted 2016-11-09T06:37:29+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+