Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

How can I line the shower with corrugated metal?

Hello, Forums!

A while back, we published a short article on the Apron blog about some of the cool things you can do with corrugated sheet metal. It's generated quite a few questions from readers about ways they can use corrugated metal as a design element in their homes.

Here's a new question, and it might be one of the more tricky ones. It's from reader WINDY (who appears to be celebrating INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY)--

"I WOULD LOVE TO LINE THE INSIDE OF A SHOWER/BATHTUB AREA WITH TIN. HOW CAN THIS BE DONE SUCCESSFULLY?"

Is it even feasible to hang corrugated metal in shower/bathtub? What would WINDY have to do?

Thanks!

-Craig, from the Apron blog

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-22T21:41:29+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

你好 克瑞格 :smileyhappy:

Is it feasible?

Yes but it would require, just like the question, some outside of the box thinking.

For example, he would need to find a creative way to adapt plumbing fixtures to the corrugated walls. I’m thinking, welding a piece of galvanized sheet metal to the fixture area(s) would probably work, aesthetically and structurally.

Also waterproofing…

Corrugated panels are not designed to be installed in a true vertical position. When used as siding these panels are normally backed by some sort of house wrap or builders (felt) paper.

Similar approach to this would have to be implemented on the shower walls also.

RG.jpg

One way, right off the bat, would be by using a brush on or roll on type of waterproofing membranes such is Red Guard.

Termination at the floor…

Panels should not be installed in a direct contact with the shower floor. Reasons are to avoid excessive rusting  and immediate water penetration. One solution is to have some sort of tile or stone border installed around the perimeter of the shower.

Craig this is one of those “guideless” type of projects.

I would invite “WINDY” to join our How-to-Community. Here we can, if he’s still interested, guide him thru the every step of this project.

George

Posted 2012-10-23T19:04:41+0000  by George_HD_CHI

谢  "钢脚趾"!

(Thank you, SteelToes!)

Posted 2012-10-23T20:38:59+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

We have another question about corrugated sheet metal on that original blog post on The Home Depot blog that prompted this thread. The question is about using corrugated metal to cover interior walls and ceilings. 

Al Hartt writes: 

Thinking of putting corrugated panels on walls and/or ceiling. Familiar with installing on roof and know how to cut, but looking for a good way to install electrical boxes (outlet and light) on wall (new construction) and have it look good.

Have seen a few ideas on net, but want expert opinion. Can you offer anything please?

What's the advice for Al?

Posted 2013-05-01T14:20:44+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+